The MOST delicious, easy-to-make plant-based Chickpea Salad Sandwich with avocado. It's oil-free, dairy-free, gluten-free friendly, super healthy; and there's a flavour twist you're going to love!
My mom is the Queen of Sandwich making. You can throw her in any kitchen and say, 'please make me a sandwich' and she'll create something AMAZing. Every. Single. Time. Goes without saying then that I love a good sandwich. When I was a kid, my all-time favourite sammie was egg salad/white bread/miracle whip (no mayo). Yikes!
See how far I've come - spicy, saucy cauliflower burger (finger licking good); epic California Vegan Veggie (Dagwood); Vegan Shawarma with spicy soy curl tenders and 2 unbelievable dipping sauces (most popular on the blog!) or how about a homemade pita stuffed with baked crispy falafel and hummus! Dang delicious!!
Keep reading for the elevated, sophisticated, vegan version of my old favorite . . .
Chickpea Salad Sandwich Ingredients
Chickpeas - Chickpeas are an excellent, healthy, fiber and protein packed meat/egg replacement for vegan and vegetarian meals. They are creamy, nutty and add loads of texture. Pro Tip: For the best texture, gently rub the rinsed chickpeas with a clean kitchen towel then remove and discard any loose skins.
Creaminess - to keep this sandwich whole-food, plant-based, no oil, and dairy free, use creamy avocado to replace the more traditional mayonnaise. However if you don't have avocados, sub with Vegenaise (~¼ cup) and dijon mustard (1-2 tbsp) with tasty results.
Surprise Twist - the addition of creamy, prepared horseradish is a lovely, potent, and unexpected flavour twist.
Crunch Factor - For more texture, add diced celery, white onions, bell peppers, pickled capers, toasted sunflower seeds or chopped walnuts. They each add a nice crunchiness and additional flavour.
Topping Options - Leafy greens and/or sprouts add a freshness (and lots of nutrients). Tomato slices, gherkin pickles, cucumber ribbons, and pickled hot pepper rings all are lovely options for creating your customized sandwich! For an extra kick add a pile of these Quick Garlic Pepper Pickled Onions. Super Delicious!
Bread - the chickpea filling is heavy, the bread you choose should be substantial enough to hold up to the weight. Sourdough or pumpernickel are yummy choices, but any dense, seedy bread will work. I like mine toasted!
Why You'll Love this Simple Plant-based Meal
- It's healthy, plant-based, whole food
- Oil-free, dairy-free, nut-free, gluten-free friendly
- Packed with protein, fiber, and texture
- Inexpensive - made with pantry items
- It's easy to make and stores well in fridge
More Delicious Vegan Sandwich Ideas
Very Vegetarian Dagwood Sandwich - fresh, full and fabulous!
Epic Veggie and Tofu Sandwich - when you're feeling fancy!
Easy Vegan Meatball Sub with Pesto - this one will knock your socks off!
Plus if you want to try making bread from scratch, this is the perfect fuss-free recipe for beginners and pros alike! Easy homemade bread recipe made from a bucket of all-purpose refrigerator dough! It's so simple, convenient, inexpensive, and versatile!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Creamy Avocado Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Rate this recipe!
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 avocados*
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, rough chop
- 1-2 tsp prepared horseradish (to taste)
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- 2-4 slices bread (pumpernickel, sourdough, or gf)
- pickled hot peppers or gherkin pickles
- microgreens, sprouts or leafy greens
- Drain and rinse 1 tin of chickpeas. Pat dry.
- Gently rub in a clean kitchen towel to remove loose outer skins.
- Place in a bowl and lightly mash the chickpeas leaving them chunky.
- Peel avocados and remove pit. Gently mash with fork and add to chickpeas.
- Add lemon juice, green onions, cilantro, horseradish, hot pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings as required.
- Add a layer of hummus to the bread. Or mix together equal parts Vegenaise and Dijon mustard, and add a squirt of sriracha.
- Pile high with chickpea mash, top with micro greens (sprouts or leafy green) and pickled hot peppers (or sliced gherkins).
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
This is as delicious as it looks with the extra flavours the horseradish and hot pepper flakes bring too! I love the pumpernickel bread. It is dense enough to handle this sandwich filling.
Thank you so much for the review, Wendy! I'm happy that you liked the extra flavour twist too!
Tried this for lunch yesterday and it was delicious and totally satisfying. I had some fresh dill on hand which I threw in as well.
So happy to hear it! Thank you for letting me know. Dill is a lovely addition!
I am a skeptical vegan....but LOVED this sandwich. I diced fresh cucumbers, banana pepper rings, roasted red peppers and threw a few olive slices on top. Delish!