YUM, I like a big juicy burger sometimes and this one is quick, easy and super tasty.
This is a quicky meal at our house - using some shortcuts you can be sitting down to eat in under 30 minutes.
The sweet potato fries are a nice addition to this burger and are super simple. If you'd like to make them with the burgers - get them in the oven first and then everything will be ready at the same time! Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut sweet potatoes into wedges*, sprinkle with 1 tbsp oil, minced garlic, chopped parsley, S&P, squeeze of lemon and hot pepper flakes. Place on baking sheet into oven for ~20 minutes until golden. *larger wedges take longer to cook than smaller ones.
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
BBQ Jackfruit Burger with Creamy Slaw
Rate this recipe!
- 1 tin jackfruit, in brine
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ - 1 tsp smoked paprika, harissa or chilli powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup BBQ sauce + ¼ cup water mixed together
- ¼ head cabbage, shredded (or pre-shredded coleslaw)
- 1 handful bean sprouts (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- ¼-1/2 cup cup Vegenaise
- 2-3 tbsp vinegar (lemon or juice from dill pickles)
- s&p, to taste
- ½ tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- pickle or pickled hot peppers (optional on top)
- chopped cilantro or green onions (optional in slaw)
- ¼ cup bleu cheese style dressing
- 2-3 pretzel, ciabatta, brioche, kaiser or onion buns
Pulled Jackfruit Filling
- Drain jackfruit, gently pull apart into shreds, chopping the hard pieces. Place in a clean kitchen towel and gently squeeze out excess water.
- Sprinkle with salt, ½-1 teaspoon smoked paprika, harissa or chilli powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder and toss to coat.
- Warm the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the jackfruit and stir fry for 5 minutes while it releases remaining water and starts to get some color.
- Add your favourite smoky, tangy BBQ sauce homemade or store bought. Heat through until bubbling. Reduce heat to simmer while you prepare the slaw.
Slaw and Dressing
- Add shredded cabbage (or use a coleslaw pack from grocery store) to a large bowl. Add the sprouts and toasted sunflower seeds.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all slaw dressing ingredients until smooth - taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Toss with cabbage mixture.
Building the Burgers
- Slice buns in half, add butter (optional). Warm/grill buns until toasty and golden.
- Slather bleu cheese style dressing* on the toasted bun.
- Pile some BBQ jackfruit on top (add a drizzle of BBQ sauce if you want a juicier filling).
- Add a generous helping of dilly slaw.
- Finish with bun top, a pickle and hot peppers if you like.
- *I used Earth Island Bleu Cheese Style vegan dressing - it's good!
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.