YUM, I like a big juicy burger sometimes and this one is quick, easy and super tasty.
This is a quicky meal at our house - using some shortcuts you can be sitting down to eat in under 30 minutes.
The sweet potato fries are a nice addition to this burger and are super simple. If you'd like to make them with the burgers - get them in the oven first and then everything will be ready at the same time! Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut sweet potatoes into wedges*, sprinkle with 1 tbsp oil, minced garlic, chopped parsley, S&P, squeeze of lemon and hot pepper flakes. Place on baking sheet into oven for ~20 minutes until golden. *larger wedges take longer to cook than smaller ones.
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
BBQ Jackfruit Burger with Creamy Slaw
Rate this recipe!
- 1 tin jackfruit, in brine
- 2 tsp oil
- ½ - 1 tsp smoked paprika, harissa or chilli powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup BBQ sauce + ¼ cup water mixed together
- ¼ head cabbage, shredded (or pre-shredded coleslaw)
- 1 handful bean sprouts (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp toasted sunflower seeds
- ¼-1/2 cup cup Vegenaise
- 2-3 tbsp vinegar (lemon or juice from dill pickles)
- s&p, to taste
- ½ tsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- pickle or pickled hot peppers (optional on top)
- chopped cilantro or green onions (optional in slaw)
- ¼ cup bleu cheese style dressing
- 2-3 pretzel, ciabatta, brioche, kaiser or onion buns
Pulled Jackfruit Filling
- Drain jackfruit, gently pull apart into shreds, chopping the hard pieces. Place in a clean kitchen towel and gently squeeze out excess water.
- Sprinkle with salt, ½-1 teaspoon smoked paprika, harissa or chilli powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder and toss to coat.
- Warm the oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the jackfruit and stir fry for 5 minutes while it releases remaining water and starts to get some color.
- Add your favourite smoky, tangy BBQ sauce homemade or store bought. Heat through until bubbling. Reduce heat to simmer while you prepare the slaw.
Slaw and Dressing
- Add shredded cabbage (or use a coleslaw pack from grocery store) to a large bowl. Add the sprouts and toasted sunflower seeds.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all slaw dressing ingredients until smooth - taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Toss with cabbage mixture.
Building the Burgers
- Slice buns in half, add butter (optional). Warm/grill buns until toasty and golden.
- Slather bleu cheese style dressing* on the toasted bun.
- Pile some BBQ jackfruit on top (add a drizzle of BBQ sauce if you want a juicier filling).
- Add a generous helping of dilly slaw.
- Finish with bun top, a pickle and hot peppers if you like.
- *I used Earth Island Bleu Cheese Style vegan dressing - it's good!
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Wow, this is so delicious. My non-vegan friend could not believe that this was a vegan burger. I really love the slaw.
Thank you for the feedback! So good to hear you both enjoyed it!