Making Italian breadcrumbs from scratch is super easy and fast. I use the leftover crusts or stale ends from my easy white bread recipe, whole wheat or sourdough bread. These homemade breadcrumbs are garlicky and flavourful. They are handy to have in the freezer for all your best Italian dishes like Romesco Sauce or these baked Vegan Falafel Balls.
Breadcrumbs are that pantry item that always gets forgotten about. I mean how often does a person even need them? Twice a year? Plus are you a dried breadcrumb family or do you prefer fresh breadcrumbs. Do you buy them in a box like Panko or fresh from the bakery in a bag?
Ever since I made Carmine's recipe for Best Italian-style breadcrumbs over a decade ago, it's been our family recipe. They are practically effortless to make, are super flavourful, and they freeze well, making them the perfect no-fuss recipe. Trust me, it can be your family's favourite too.
Why You'll Love these Breadcrumbs
- economical - use your leftover crusts and stale bits of bread
- easy and fast to make
- seasoned to your personal preference
- convenient - freezes well
- gluten-free and oil-free friendly
- WAY better than store-bought breadcrumbs
How to Make Homemade Italian Breadcrumbs
Save your odd bits and crusts of leftover bread in a bag in the freezer until you have enough to make a big batch of breadcrumbs.
Since these are fresh breadcrumbs, place the bread pieces into a food processor (working in small batches) with the garlic, parsley and spices. Add your favourite brand of vegan parmesan (like Violife) or try this easy homemade parmesan cheese recipe.
Pulse until small crumbles. Then store in the fridge or freezer until needed.
You'll need breadcrumbs if you're making these EPIC cauliflower, mushroom rice balls, stuffing for Miyokos Unturkey at Thanksgiving or crispy topping for all your favourite Italian dishes!
Best Italian Bread Crumbs (vegan)
Rate this recipe!
- 6 slices white bread w/crusts, torn into chunks
- ½ cup parmesan, vegan*
- 2+ tbsp garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- S&P, to taste
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the bread chunks in small batches until it is coarsely ground (I use white french bread).
- Add the parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, and oregano and pulse the mixture until the breadcrumbs are finely ground.
- Season the breadcrumbs to taste with S&P and pulse just to mix seasonings.
- *Cheese - use this recipe for fast, easy, ahh-maz-ing home-made parmesan cheese or the Violife parmesan is spectacular.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.