A collection of 8 vegan (vegetarian + plant-based) sandwich ideas. Everything from simple chickpea salad to indulgent saucy meatball sub with pesto and marinara. Simple and light to hearty and rustic, there's an incredibly delicious sandwich for everyone - vegan or not.
My mother is the Queen of delicious and interesting sandwiches. She can transform the simplest ingredients into something extraordinary every time. Keep reading for a few tips and suggestions I've learned along the way for making epic vegan sandwiches every single time.
Epic Vegan Sandwich Essentials
Include a variety of flavors and textures - always some crunch and something pickled! Here are a few more ideas to get you started . . .
- Bread - it should be substantial enough to stand up to the filling you choose. That could be a grainy bun, chewy ciabatta, crunchy toasted sourdough slices or soft warm pita. Also, keep the bread to filling ratio balanced.
- Filling - anything from the humble cauliflower, chickpeas, tofu, jackfruit, avocado, and all the fresh crunchy, juicy vegetables.
- Freshness - leafy greens, arugula, cilantro, sprouts, and microgreens.
- Texture - creamy, crunchy, crisp, soft, tender, chewy, and chunky (eg. creamy avocado, hummus, vegan cheese; crunchy lettuce (esp. romaine and iceberg), celery or carrots; crisp cucumbers, pickled onions or chips; tender sweet potatoes, soft pillowy pitas or chickpea/crab salad; chewy soy curls, ciabatta or sourdough. Add a few nuts, seeds or try sprouted lentils or fried capers)!
Cutting the vegetables and filling into a variety of shapes and sizes will keep the texture interesting as well (eg. chunks of mushrooms v. slices, grated carrot v. julienne, whole lettuce leaves v. chopped, cucumber ribbons v. coins, avocado slices or dicing v. guacamole). Consider how all the ingredients will play together and cut accordingly.
- Flavor - tangy, spicy, sour, sweet, salty, and pickled. Use spices and flavors in each component (eg. add some garlic and hot pepper flakes or EBTB to the to tofu when grilling, then brush with BBQ sauce; sub hummus for butter; add a drizzle of spicy mayo; add a pinch of salt to the tomatoes and cucumbers; and some pickled onions or a gherkin on top).
- Sauce - hummus, dijon mustard, Vegenaise, and pesto are nourishing and flavorful choices to sub for butter. Plus add any additional sauces or drizzles for extra flavor!
Let's make some veggie sandwiches!!!
- This is an easy, customizable California vegetarian sandwich. Add any vegetables you prefer - this one is tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, avocados and spinach with spicy hummus on grainy bread. This healthy, fresh sandwich is fast and easy plus super satisfying.
- One of the best vegan recipes I've ever created!! Succulent spicy soy curl tenders and crunchy chickpeas in a wrap stuffed with fresh vegetables and drizzled with two addictive sauces. This wrap will knock your socks off!
- This sandwich is stuffed with all the goodies. Choose one or two of the main ingredients - tofu, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, guacamole (with a flavor twist) or go all in and make this epic big boy!l
- This creamy chickpea salad sandwich made with simple ingredients is super healthy and nourishing. It's a hearty, filling sandwich that is oil-free and gluten-free adaptable. Switch up the spices and try curried or harissa chickpea salad - the options are endless. Super easy to make and totally delicious!
- The cauliflower tenders in this burger are unbelievably incredible. Change the flavor profile from harissa to bbq to buffalo. Serve these juicy tenders as an appetizer with blue cheese dip at your next get together or in a Buddha bowl with ranch dressing drizzle for a family dinner.
- Saucy, cheesy, pesto, meaty goodness - this plant-based meatball sandwich is simply irresistible. What people are saying . . .
'This is definitely in my top 5 sandwiches ever eaten. This is like secret food truck level good. I can't say enough good things about this sandwich.' Scott
- Big, bold, saucy BBQ 'pulled' jackfruit is perfectly paired with creamy tropical slaw. Juicy and bursting with flavor, grilled pineapple takes this sandwich over the top!
- The perfect vegetarian sandwich! Chickpea falafel balls stuffed into a soft pita drizzled with spicy tahini sauce and fresh vegetables! Oil-free and gluten-free adaptable, these falafels freeze well and are delicious served as an appetizer or in a Buddha bowl.
Did you make any of these Vegan Sandwich Ideas?
Please let us know which is your favorite below in comments.
Please share your photos with me on IG @ceeceecooks and Facebook,
I love to see your re-creations!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER