A round up of 8 epic vegan (vegetarian + plant-based) sandwich ideas. Everything from healthy chickpea salad sandwiches to indulgent saucy vegan meatball sub sandwiches. You don't need meat and cheese to make an incredible sandwich.
What sandwiches do vegans eat you ask? Keep reading for 8 of the best, most memorable vegan sandwiches everyone loves . . .
My mother is the Queen of delicious and interesting sandwiches. She can transform the simplest ingredients into something extraordinary every time.
Below are some top tips and suggestions I've learned along the way for how to make an epic vegan sandwich every single time!
Anatomy of the Perfect Vegan Sandwich
Here's a roadmap for building a delicious vegan sandwich. Remember to include a variety of flavors and textures and always some crunch and something pickled!
- Bread - it should be substantial enough to stand up to the filling you choose. That could be a grainy bun, chewy ciabatta, crunchy toasted sourdough or soft warm pita. Also, keep the bread to filling ratio balanced.
- Filling - anything from cauliflower crumbles, chickpeas, tofu, tempeh, jackfruit, avocado, and all the fresh crunchy, juicy vegetables. No meat or cheese required - meat eaters love these vegan sandwiches too!
- Freshness - include leafy greens, arugula, cilantro, sprouts, and microgreens.
- Texture/Toppings - add a variety of textures from creamy, crunchy, crisp, soft, tender, chewy, and chunky.
For example choose creamy avocado, hummus or dairy-free vegan cheese.
For crunch, try lettuce (esp. romaine and iceberg), celery or carrots, crisp cucumbers, pickled onions or chips.
Soft and tender textures from sweet potatoes, pillowy pitas or mashed chickpea/crab salad.
Chewy textures could come from soy curls, ciabatta or sourdough.
Add a few nuts, seeds or try sprouted lentils or fried capers!
Cutting the vegetables and filling into a variety of shapes and sizes will keep the texture interesting as well (eg. chunks of mushrooms v. slices, grated carrot v. julienne, whole lettuce leaves v. chopped, cucumber ribbons v. coins, avocado slices or cubes v. guacamole).
Consider how all the ingredients will play together and cut accordingly.
- Flavor - tangy, spicy, sour, sweet, salty, and pickled. Season each component (eg. add garlic and hot pepper flakes or EBTB to the to tofu when grilling, then brush with BBQ sauce. Substitute hummus for butter and a drizzle of spicy mayo. Add a pinch of salt to enhance tomatoes and cucumbers. Top with sour-sweet gherkins or pickled onions.).
- Sauce - hummus, dijon mustard, Vegenaise, and pesto are nourishing and flavorful choices to sub for butter. Plus add any additional sauces or drizzles for extra flavor!
Let's make some vegan sandwiches for work, brunches, weekday lunches and fancy parties.
Vegan (Vegetarian) Sandwich Ideas
- This is an easy, customizable California vegetarian sandwich. Add any vegetables - this one includes tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, avocados and spinach with spicy hummus on grainy bread. When I'm craving a BLT sandwich, this is a great vegan option (just add tempeh bacon).
- One of the most delicious vegan recipes I've ever created!! Succulent spicy soy curl tenders and crunchy chickpeas served in a pita wrap stuffed with fresh vegetables, drizzled with two addictive sauces and topped with pickled onions. This vegan wrap sandwich will knock your socks off!
- This sandwich is stuffed with all the goodies (a vegan riff on a classic club sandwich). Choose one or two of the main ingredients - baked tofu, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, guacamole (with a flavor twist) or go all in and make this epic big boy!l
- This creamy chickpea salad sandwich made with simple ingredients like chickpeas and avocado is super healthy and nourishing. It's the vegan version of a classic egg salad sandwich!
Hearty, filling vegan sandwich that is oil-free, dairy-free and gluten-free adaptable. Super quick and easy to make and totally plant based!
- My favorite part of this ultimate vegan sandwich is the creamy, spicy cauliflower tenders made with a crust of Vegenaise and BBQ spices. Biting into the succulent tender creamy baked cauliflower paired with tangy, crunchy slaw is an experience you don't want to miss. Next level vegan sandwich recipe for sure!
- Saucy, cheesy, meaty goodness - this plant-based, vegan meatball sandwich is simply irresistible. Made with tangy garlicky pesto, rich red marinara sauce, dairy-free cheese, and vegan meatballs - it's irresistibly delicious.
What people are saying . . .
'This is definitely in my top 5 sandwiches ever eaten. This is like secret food truck level good. I can't say enough good things about this sandwich.' Scott
- Big, bold, saucy BBQ 'pulled pork' jackfruit is perfectly paired with creamy tropical slaw. Juicy and bursting with flavor, grilled pineapple takes this vegan sandwich over the top!
- The perfect vegetarian sandwich! Chickpea falafel balls stuffed into a soft pita drizzled with spicy tahini sauce and fresh vegetables! Oil-free, gluten-free adaptable, protein rich, these vegan falafels freeze well and are also delicious served as an appetizer or in a Buddha bowl.
Post updated October 2021.