These melt-in-your-mouth, soft and buttery breadsticks are just like Olive Garden breadsticks - but vegan!! Quick and easy to make, they are bathed in garlic butter then sprinkled with an addictively delicious, vegan parmesan cheese and Italian seasonings.
Made using my all purpose bucket of dough recipe, these simple breadsticks practically make themselves! Let me show you how . . .
I'm super excited to share another vegan recipe you can make with my favorite easy, yeast, all purpose dough. It makes baking so quick and easy, and cleanup is a breeze!
Make a bucket of dough (no kneading) in 10 minutes or less and enjoy baking bread, dinner buns, pitas, cinnamon rolls, pizza, and flatbreads over the next two weeks!
Why You'll Love this Recipe
The great thing about these breadsticks is they are so dang versatile and everybody loves them!
- easy to make with refrigerator dough. Make a small batch or a couple dozen at a time!
- restaurant-style breadsticks but from the comfort of home
- can twist them into garlic knots, pizza roll ups or cheesy garlic breadsticks
- delicious appetizer served with Italian marinara sauce and/or cheese sauce for dipping
- popular game day snack!
- dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan
- fun to make with the kids but the whole family devours them
- easy recipe, great for new/beginners cooks and bakers - works every time!
How Do You Make Breadsticks?
You won't believe how quickly these garlic breadsticks come together. Here's the steps:
Make the Dough - what a minute! Grab a chunk of all purpose refrigerator dough from the fridge (can be made 2 weeks in advance). A large ball (about the size of a small melon) will make ~10-12 breadsticks depending how big you make them.
On a lightly floured surface, form the chunk of dough into a ball.
Shape the breadsticks - This part is easy, simply divide the dough into 10-12 equal balls, then roll them into logs. The exact size of the breadstick is up to you, but around a 7-8 inch long log.
If the dough keeps springing back while rolling, let it rest for a few minutes until the gluten has warmed up and relaxed. Don't worry about getting them perfect, they will puff up and be beautiful, golden breadsticks!
Cover and let rise in a warm spot until the breadsticks get puffy (30-40 minutes). Right before placing into the oven, gently brush with melted garlic butter (more topping options in recipe notes).
Time to Bake - Bake until lightly golden. The length of baking time will depend on the size of the breadsticks, how hot your oven runs, and if you prefer soft or crusty breadsticks.
Of course these fluffy garlic breadsticks are irresistible hot and buttery out of the oven, but they go with everything! Here are a few more ways to enjoy them:
- as a side dish with your favorite Italian lasagna, bolognese or red sauce with feta
- great appetizer with dipping sauce like marinara, cheese or honey mustard sauce
- as a game day snack - tied into a knot and dunked into garlicky parmesan butter
- as dessert dusted with cinnamon sugar instead of salt and served with salted maple cashew cream dipping sauce
Homemade Breadsticks Tips and FAQ
Shaping Options: Twist the dough rope like a swizzle stick before placing on the baking sheet for a fun change. Or tie the dough into a knot and tuck the edges under for a soft puffy garlic knot (see photo)!
Preheat the Oven: Be sure to preheat the oven for the best rise and crust!
Toppings: The salty-garlic parmesan cheese is super delicious - I find it irresistible. Use dry Italian herbs, thyme, basil, oregano or add a few freshly chopped herbs after baking - parsley, rosemary, thyme and oregano are all good choices.
Yes, homemade breadsticks are simple to make vegan. Just be sure the bread dough is made without eggs or dairy butter. Brush the breadsticks with vegan butter or margarine and top with vegan grated (powder) parmesan cheese.
Yes! After the breadsticks are baked and cooled, they can be frozen for several months in a freezer friendly bag or container. When ready to serve, gently warm them in the microwave or wrap the breadsticks in foil and place in a 350º F oven until warm.
Breadsticks are best straight out of the oven served hot and crispy. However, they are still pretty delicious over the next several days if wrapped and stored on the counter. Gently rewarm or enjoy at room temperature.
More Bread Dough Recipes
One bucket of dough, no kneading, so many options for savory, sweet, bulk batch or small batch baking. Here's a few of our favorites:
- Bucket of Dough - all purpose dough master recipe
- Pita Bread - easy, soft and chewy, magical pita pockets
- Sandwich Bread Loaf - for grilled cheese, toast, and California veggie sandwiches
- Cinnamon rolls, sticky buns, pull aparts, dinner buns, artisan bread, pizza roll ups, bagels, pizza, and so much more.
Did you make this Easy Homemade Breadsticks recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please let me know in the comments. Thank you so much for sharing!
Tag me on Instagram
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Soft Garlic Breadsticks (easy + vegan)
Rate this recipe!
- 1 - 1 ½ pounds all purpose refrigerator dough (~600 grams)
- 2-3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ - 1 teaspoon garlic granules or 1 large clove, minced
- salt, sea salt or flaky salt
- 1-2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian dry herbs (oregano, basil, parsley)
- fresh parsley, basil, rosemary or thyme (chopped)
- sesame seeds
- Add parchment or a silicone mat to a large baking sheet.
Shaping the Breadsticks
- Twist off a chunk of all purpose refrigerator dough (around 1 - 1 ¼ pounds). The size of the chunk will depend on how many breadsticks you want to make.
- Shape it into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Divide the ball into 10-12 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 7-8" rope. If the rope keeps springing back, give it a few minutes for the gluten to warm up and relax.
- Place each breadstick on the prepared baking sheet with about 1" between. Cover with plastic and a towel and let rise in a warm place until puffy (around 30-40 minutes).
- Baker's Tip: place the baking sheet near the stove while it is preheating. This is a nice warm spot to rise.
- PREHEAT oven to 425º F with rack in center position. Oven should preheat for about 30 minutes.
Make the Garlic Butter
- Melt the butter and stir in the garlic fresh or dry.
Time to Bake
- When it's time to bake, gently brush melted garlic butter on the top of each breadstick.
- Place in preheated oven in center of oven for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven, brush with more butter, a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, sea salt, and Italian seasonings (dry or fresh) to taste.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Oh my god we love this refrigerator dough! These quick and easy garlic breadsticks are a family favourite. I love that the house smells like freshly baked bread so often!!
Thank you - so happy you are enjoying making bread from scratch! The breadsticks are so easy and delicious. Have a great week!
The "Bucket of Dough" is the smartest thing ever! I can't believe how quick and easy these breadsticks are to make. It's like having your own bakery in your house. Thanks, Ceecee!
Thank you, so happy you are enjoying the breadsticks! Have a great week!
Wow! Great recipe. A week of baguettes, cinnamon rolls, pizza and enough dough for a few breadsticks this weekend.