It's easy to make fresh guacamole from scratch in a matter of minutes. This delicious guacamole recipe is chunky, tangy, salty, and 100% plant based. Plain and simple, it's 1000% delicious on everything! We love it with fresh pico de gallo, corn salsa, and pita chips!!
Is there anything better than a perfect homemade guacamole recipe (aka guac)? Of course, 'perfect' is subjective, and in our family everyone thinks their version is THE BEST. A bit more lime juice, add a splash of lemon juice, bring on the heat, more cilantro, less cilantro, HOLD the cilantro - small differences and preferences; but I love all their guacamole recipes.
Ingredients for Simple, Delicious Guacamole
If you ever need a little something extra to elevate a dish, guacamole dip is always the answer. We love it on tacos, stuffed sweet potatoes, and a big plate of cheesy vegan nachos. As well, I can't resist a bag of crispy chips with a big bowl of guacamole and pico to dip them in.
Since there are only a few ingredients in guacamole, choose the freshest, highest quality ingredients you can find. Here's what you'll need to make our favourite, easy guacamole recipe:
Avocados - choose avocados that are dark green, are soft but not mushy. No big soft spots (bruises) and no hard or firm avocados. A few more tips for choosing avocados below.
Limes - nice big firm, juicy limes for that perfect tangy, citrus flavour. You can use bottled lime juice in a pinch, but fresh is best.
Cilantro - big bunches of fresh, perky cilantro. Cilantro lover here which is lucky because it's a staple in Mexican cooking (which I adore).
Onions - I like white which may not be authentic in guacamole, but I prefer the bite/pungency of white onions. Of course purple and yellow onions are fine.
Salt - coarsely ground sea salt (kosher salt). Makes the guacamole flavour sing.
Heat - minced jalapeno, hot pepper flakes or sprinkle of cayenne (all optional).
Making Guacamole from Scratch
So fast and easy, you can have the best, homemade guacamole in a matter of minutes. This snack/appetizer is a huge crowd pleaser, very popular for Super Bowl, Cinco de Mayo and family parties! Here's how to make it:
- Peel, pit, and mash avocados. On a cutting board or plate, mash the avocado halves using a fork. Pro Tip: Texture counts, don't over mash and mix the guacamole (you can't unmash an avocado!). Leave some bigger chunks because when you add the lime, cilantro, and onions, the avocados will break down more.
- Mince the onions and cilantro - stir into the mashed avocado.
- Squeeze in lime juice and sprinkle with salt. Mince and add jalapeno if using.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference. The best guacamole is fresh, bright, and has perfectly balanced flavours. In my experience, it almost always needs more lime and salt!
- Voilà that's all you need to make the best, easiest guacamole dip.
Simple Guacamole (tips + tricks)
Choosing avocados - select soft but not mushy avocados. There should be some give when you gently squeeze them. Hard avocados do not make delicious guacamole.
Storing avocados - store at room temperature if you are going to use right away. If they are ripening too quickly, move them to the fridge. Hard or firm avocados need a day or two on the counter. Placing them in a paper bag in a warm spot (like a sunny counter) will also speed along the ripening process a bit.
Preparing the avocados - place the avocado on your work surface, cut the skin through to the pit with a sharp knife. Hold the knife steady and turn the avocado to cut it all the way around. Twist the two pieces in opposite directions and pull apart.
Removing the pit - To remove the pit, just scoop the flesh out of the avocado skin with a spoon and then break it away from the pit. Scoop out the remaining avocado halves.
Texture - make guacamole with room temperature avocados for best results. Guacamole texture is important! In our family, we like it chunky, not too mashed/smooth. It's easy to control the texture using a simple fork.
Taste test - if the guacamole is bland, add some salt and then some lime. If you like more heat, add more jalapeno or red pepper flakes.
Options - add a sprinkle of minced jalapeno for a hint of heat (seeds will increase the heat). We don't add garlic, cumin or tomatoes to ours, but they are popular additions if you prefer.
More Vegan Recipes that Use Guacamole
Vegan Buddha Bowl, family favourite to put guac on vegan rice bowls!
Breakfast Burritos, nothing better than a big scoop of guacamole at breakfast!
Classic Snack - Big bowl of chips and guac, Pico de Gallo, Vegan Queso Cheese Sauce!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Simple Guacamole Recipe (easy + delicious)
Rate this recipe!
- fork & bowl
- 2 large ripe avocados, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tbsp white onion, diced
- 3 tbsp cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp lime, juice (more or less to taste)
- 1-2 pinches sea salt, to taste
- jalapeno, minced (to taste)
- hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Scoop the avocado flesh with a spoon and place in a bowl. Gently mash leaving it pretty chunky.
- Add the remaining ingredients and continue mashing and mixing (leave some texture) until desired consistency is met (don't over mash).
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. If it's bland, first add salt, then add lime.
- Serve immediately with chips and pico or salsa.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.