This vegan honey mustard sauce is so luxurious and full of flavor - it's way better than store bought!! Tangy, sweet and creamy it makes a fabulous salad dressing, addictive dipping sauce, and delicious drizzle. Takes under 5 minutes to make, plus it's oil free, dairy free, and gluten free! BOOM!!
I can't believe I haven't shared this vegan 5 Minute Honey Mustard Sauce recipe on the blog yet - it's so irresistible! I created it years ago for dipping my Vegan Sausage Rolls in at family get togethers.
We love it dipped and drizzled on everything from big vegan salad bowls to grilled, BBQ'd or baked veggies, stuffed sweet potatoes, and tacos. This oil-free honey mustard sauce makes everything 1000% more delicious!
Whip up a batch and toss it in the fridge - you'll be happy you did!
With only a few simple ingredients, this incredible, vegan honey mustard sauce/dressing recipe can be made at home in no time. Here's what you'll need . . .
Dijon Mustard. Smooth, creamy and super flavorful, dijon mustard adds a lovely earthy depth of flavor and zippiness to this dressing.
Maple Syrup. Canadian girl here 👋🏻 we love our maple syrup for its lovely subtle flavor and sweetness. It's the perfect vegan substitute for honey in this dressing. You could also try some vegan honey or agave syrup.
Lemon. A squeeze of fresh lemon adds the perfect amount of acid and brightness to balance the flavors. Start with a splash, then taste, Add more to your personal preference.
Cayenne Pepper. A dusting of cayenne adds the slightest kiss of heat that is almost indiscernible but definitely elevates the dressing flavor profile.
Salt and Pepper. Skip the table salt and go directly to ground sea salt or kosher salt. Salt will make all the flavors sing. Fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Herbs. Optional but incredible - I love adding fresh thyme!
Ingredient Substitutions and Variations
This recipe is an incredible oil-free version of honey mustard sauce. However, to bump up richness/creaminess, add Vegenaise or tahini. Here's what to do:
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk in 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons of Vegenaise or tahini. Taste and adjust seasonings to suit your personal taste. Voilà decadent vegan honey mustard sauce/dressing!
Honey mustard using honey is not vegan; however, the honey can be substituted with maple syrup, agave syrup, brown rice or barley malt syrup. As well there are many delicious vegan honey brands available now.
Yes, mustard is vegan. The main ingredients in most types of mustard are mustard seeds, vinegar, water and salt.
Uses for Maple Mustard Sauce
Whip up a batch of this sweet and tangy honey mustard vegan dressing and store it in a jar in the fridge all week - great for meal prep. Super versatile, it's amazing on big salad bowls; but that's not all, here are a few more ideas . . .
- as a salad dressing - the combination of maple, Dijon mustard and lemon is so delicious - it really jazzes up any leafy green salad to Chopped Chick'n Salad.
- as a drizzle - liberally drizzle over bbq, grilled or sheet pan veggies like Brussels sprouts (2 ways), cauliflower, potatoes, broccoli or carrots.
- on a rice/grain bowl - simple and nourishing dolloped on vegan rice bowl !
- as a dip - the perfect vegan honey mustard dip for everything from big soft, chewy pretzels to vegan sausage rolls, vegan meatballs and vegan wings.
More Vegan Sauces / Dressings to try
If you love this maple mustard sauce, check out my sauce page for more dairy-free, oil-free, vegan sauces to try! Here are some of our favorites to get you started:
- sweet and spicy tahini sauce
- everyday tahini sauce
- creamy cilantro jalapeno sauce
- cashew cream sauce (with 10 variations)
- dairy free tzatziki sauce
- easy lemon vinaigrette dressing (oil free)
- dairy free pesto sauce
Honey Mustard Sauce (vegan version)
Rate this recipe!
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup maple syrup*
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, more to taste
- sea salt and coarse black pepper, to taste
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, more to taste
- 1 ½ tablespoons Vegenaise or tahini sauce
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, more to taste
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small dish.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to personal preference.
- For the optional ingredients, add 1 tablespoon at a time until desired flavor and consistency is met.
- Stir in fresh thyme leaves (if using).
- Store in the fridge in lidded jar or container for up to a week.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.