When my daughter was in Grade 11 she read a book, Skinny Bitch, and after reading it she she told us that she was switching to a vegetarian diet. She had never been a big meat eater so I wasn't too surprised. But, I read the book so I knew what they were 'feeding' her. Well that was that - the path toward a vegetarian and then vegan lifestyle had begun. I've learned so much in the last 10 years - mind blowing actually. I was already a good cook, but cooking plant-based has really stretched my creativity and ability, and I'm a much better, more creative, and happier cook because of it. The texture and flavour of food has always been important to me and that hasn't changed since cooking plant-based.
Some of my recipes are fancier (more involved); but my everyday food is simple, fast, super healthy, and absolutely delicious. This taco recipe is really easy and a family favourite. It's Greek inspired with smoky, spicy mushrooms and onions as the base, a dilly lemony tziziki-inspired sauce, sweet fresh tomato chunks, cool crunchy cucumber and peppery radish slices, and chopped onion. I served them in dry-roast tortilla wraps. It's SO quick - get your mushrooms started, prep the veg and sauce and you can be eating in 30 minutes. The leftovers are spectacular also!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Loaded Mushroom Tacos
Rate this recipe!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small red onion, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp onion granules
- 1 tsp paprika, sweet smoky
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- S&P, to taste
- 1-2 tsp oregano
- ½ lime, juice
- ½ cup sour cream*, vegan
- ½ large lemon, juice
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small cucumber, minced or grated
- 1 bunch dill, rough chop
- s&p, to taste
- 1-2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 small cucumbers, sliced
- 4-6 radishes, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, slices or rough chop
- This recipe is pretty loose, and I don't usually measure; but here are some approximations - add more or less spice depending on your taste preference and also how many mushrooms you use.
Slice mushrooms (I used a variety of shitake, oyster, and button because that's what I had on hand, but you could use portobello too) - long thin slices.
Slice onions, long thin slices.
Crush and chop garlic cloves.
Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, garlic, onion granules, paprika, cumin, and cook until fragrant. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until soft and golden. Season with S&P, oregano, and a squeeze of lime. Lower the heat and keep warm while preparing other ingredients.
- In a small bowl mix together the sour cream (Tofutti is my favourite for both flavour and texture), add lemon juice, garlic, cucumber, and dill. Mix together, season with S&P, taste and adjust seasoning to your preference.
- Chop tomatoes. slice cucumbers and radishes, and slice or chop onions.
Place on serving dish
- Dry fry tortillas on a skillet over medium-high heat briefly on each side.
- Putting it all together:
Warm tortilla, load it up with meat-onion mixture, sauce, and veggies. Fold taco or burrito style and enjoy!!!
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.