YUP, it’s vegan, and it’s incredible! Cheesy, crunchy delicious vegan grilled cheese with spicy ketchup and crispy fried pickles. Quick and easy to make on the stove, in the air fryer or a sandwich maker. Let's get started . . .
Ahhh, the perfect, classic, grilled cheese sandwich – ooey, gooey, cheesy goodness sandwiched between two slices of crunchy, perfectly golden crispy sourdough with spicy ketchup dip. What could be better?
My clients always tell me the hardest part about ‘going’ vegan is giving up cheese. It was for me too. Somedays, you just want a grilled cheese sandwich, cheesy pizza or epic lasagna. I’m here to tell you that that is totally doable these days with no loss of flavour or texture. Non-dairy cheese has come A LONG way since I’ve been in this game. There are some great companies creating scrumptious dairy-free cheeses with amazing flavour, texture, and melt-ability.
To get the ultimate cheesy flavour in this grilled cheese, I mixed 3 kinds of non-dairy cheese mozza, jalapeno, and vegan parmesan. Have you found the perfect meltable, dairy-free cheese in your area yet? Some stores have samples so you can try before you buy. Try mixing a few flavours and textures to get the perfect grilled cheese.
Pro Tip: For an additional layer of creaminess, smear some soft cheese or Vegenaise to the inward facing slice of the bread and continue the recipe as stated.
A few vegan cheeses I've tried (available where I live: Canada) are Follow Your Heart Slices or Shreds, Miyoko's cheese and butter, Violife, Chao, and Kite Hill.
Make your vegan grilled cheese on the stove, in a sandwich press or in the air fryer! Serve it with Fried Pickles and Spicy Ketchup for an epic vegan lunch.
More Vegan Lunch Ideas
If you're stuck for vegan lunch ideas, here's a few of our favorites:
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Perfectly Cheesy Grilled Cheese with Spicy Ketchup
Rate this recipe!
- 1+ cup vegan cheese, assorted
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4-6 slices sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1-2 tablespoons Vegenaise (optional)
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Grate or rip cheese into shreds and set aside.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread (I love sourdough for the perfect crunch), slather with some Vegenaise and a sprinkle of garlic powder for extra flavor.
- Place buttered side down in a hot cast iron or heavy bottom pan. Pile on a variety of your favorite slices or pile of grated cheeses. (See recipe notes for air-fryer option.)
- Place a slice of bread on top with butter side facing up and grill on medium to medium-high until brown and toasted.
- *I typically place a piece of parchment paper and another cast iron pan on top of my sandwiches while they are grilling (optional).
Spicy Ketchup Recipe
- Combine the ketchup, sriracha, and bbq sauce in a small bowl and set aside.
- Can refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
- Cut grilled cheese in half or into strips and serve with ketchup for dipping.
- Add a serving of crispy fries or juicy fried pickles (recipe here).
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.