Better than store bought, this quick, delicious hummus recipe is a creamy, tangy, garlicky wonder dip! Add it to sandwiches, falafel wraps with tahini drizzle or just dip fresh veggies or crunchy pita triangles right into the bowl! So delicious!
This is my favourite hummus recipe right now - it's quick, easy, and delicious. What more can you ask? This is a great hummus to make for parties or a large crowd because it makes a nice big batch so you can make a few different flavours.
How to make Homemade Hummus
Once you see how simple this hummus recipe is, you will never buy store-bought hummus again! Hummus is naturally gluten free, dairy free, nut free, high in protein, and healthy! Here's the ingredients you'll need for the basic hummus recipe:
Chickpeas (garbanzo beans) - use canned chickpeas for this recipe to speed the process along. Just drain, rinse, and gently rub in a clean kitchen towel. Remove the obvious, loose skins; but don't worry about getting them all. Pro Tip: If using canned chickpeas, you may want to reduce the amount of added salt.
Tahini - tahini is a condiment made from ground sesame seeds (I use this one). It adds flavour and creaminess to hummus. If you are oil free, add another tablespoonful or more of tahini to increase richness and creaminess.
Garlic - raw or roasted? It's up to you. The raw garlic will add a pungency and impart a strong garlicky flavour and scent to the hummus. Meanwhile roasting garlic mellows out the flavour and adds a lovely caramelized, softer, garlic flavour. Pro Tip: Roast a few heads of garlic at the same time and then store them in the fridge or freezer in an air-tight container for later use.
How to Roast a Whole Garlic in the Oven
- Preheat the oven to 400º C.
- Cut the tips off the head of garlic (¼") exposing just the tops (figure 1).
- Place a on sheet of tinfoil. Add a very light drizzle (¼ tsp) of olive oil over the exposed surface of head of garlic - skip if oil free (figure 2).
- Wrap, completely covering the head of garlic.
- Place in the preheated oven for ~ 45-50 minutes (longer depending on the size of the garlic).
- Open the foil, and pierce the center cloves with a sharp knife or skewer. It's ready when very soft (figure 3).
- Store in the fridge for several weeks or in the freezer for a few months in an airtight container.
Lemon & Spices - add lemon and blend then taste and add more to suit your taste preference. I love the addition of a pinch of cumin which really enhances the other flavours. Pro Tip: Add the water a tablespoonful at a time until you reach the desired creaminess and consistency.
Easy to make, inexpensive, nutritious, and super versatile, hummus is a delicious addition to your diet. Customize the ingredients to your taste - richer/creamier (tahini or oil), spicier (hot sauce), tangier (lemon) or more garlicky. For a smoother, creamier hummus, add an extra tablespoonful or more tahini and/or water and keep blending until desired consistency is met.
10 Yummy Ways to Serve Hummus
- veggie rice Buddha bowl like this Simple Vegan Rice Bowl
- falafel like this Favourite Baked Falafel recipe
- sandwiches try this Epic Veggie and Tofu Sandwich
- wraps like this incredible Vegan Shawarma with Spicy Tahini Drizzle
- condiments - replaces butter and mayo on burgers and wraps
- pasta like this Tangy Tomato and Olive Hummus Pasta
- pizza like this Hold the Cheese Pizza
- baked potatoes like these popular Delicious Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- charcuterie board - along with guacamole, pico de gallo, pita triangles
Hummus Recipe Variations
Hummus is super versatile - divide this recipe into 2 or 3 batches and try some of these flavours or create your own!
- roasted carrot
- roasted beet
- balsamic vinegar and caramelized onion
- Indian, Mexican, Italian, Greek spices
- spicy hummus (crowd pleaser!)
- hot and spicy (sriracha and soy sauce)
Storing Hummus and Leftovers
Hummus stores well in the fridge for a couple week without any loss of flavour or texture.
Hummus can be frozen in air-tight, freezer-friendly containers for a few months. Freeze in smaller amounts which will thaw more quickly. Remove from freezer and let thaw at room temperature.
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Quick Delicious Hummus (plus variations)
Rate this recipe!
- 2 tins chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4+ tbsp tahini
- 3-5 cloves garlic
- 2 lemons, juiced (more or less to taste)
- 1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
- ¼ tsp cumin (optional)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 6-8 tbsp water
- Basic Garlic Hummus Recipe Place all ingredients in the food processor and pulse/blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as required.
- Taste the hummus and readjust ingredients to taste.
- Want it creamier - add more water and keep blending. Tangier - add more lemon. Saltier - more salt.
- This makes a nice big batch. You can divide it in half or thirds and add other flavours to the basic recipe.
- Toppings/garnish - top with chopped parsley and a drizzle of oil, a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes or paprika. Add crispy, crunchy chickpeas or toasted pine nuts! Yum
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Made this today and it was so good with roasted pine nuts on top! Thank you simplyceecee!
Thanks for the review, Sandi. I'm so happy you enjoyed it!