This easy to make Spicy Grilled Tofu Skewer recipe is fresh and healthy. The combination of tomatoes, mushrooms, and marinated tofu grilled smells incredible and tastes just as delicious with a drizzle of dilly dipping sauce.
The sky is clear and blue, the sun is shining and warm, and these skewers are screaming summer; but (and that's a BIG BUT), my grill is sitting in 2 feet of snow - in March - yikes! Welcome to Alberta, folks. I've got my fingers crossed that we will see some grass, spring flowers or maybe a bud or two STAT.
Ingredients for Grilled Tofu and Vegetable Skewers
- Tofu - marinated and then grilled. Use firm or super firm tofu. Find tofu in most super markets in the coolers near the fresh pasta, hummus, deli, etc.
- Vegetables - grilled tomatoes become soft, juicy and delicious on the grill so I recommend them. Mushrooms are sometimes challenging to thread (if they are super fresh and hard) so take your time and thread straight through the stem up into the cap. Bell peppers (all the colors) are delicious on the grill. Is there anything better than grilled onions? Add any other vegetables you enjoy grilled. Pro Tip: make skewers of all the same vegetables / tofu so you can control the cooking time more easily.
- Marinade - soak the tofu in the marinade so it takes on the flavours and then brush the marinade over the tofu and vegetables during grilling.
- Skewers - use metal or bamboo skewers - the bamboo skewers should be soaked prior to grilling to prevent burning.
How to Serve Grilled Tofu Skewers
Skewers are easy to make and so fresh and delicious on a summer night. You can marinate the tofu overnight to save time for a weeknight meal.
Serve your skewers in a vegan Buddha bowl with fresh vegetables, avocado, rice and beans for a full meal deal.
Vegan Dipping Sauces
Here are some of our favorite drizzles, dips and sauces.
Sweet and Spicy Tahini Sauce - the most popular drizzle on my blog!
Basic Everyday Tahini Sauce (with a twist) - so creamy, rich and delicious.
Spicy Green Tahini Sauce - if you like a hit of heat, this is your tahini sauce!
Tzatziki Sauce - tangy, fresh, and delicious!
Tex-Mex Dressing - spicy and creamy Mexican flavors!
Did you make my Spicy Grilled Tofu Skewer recipe?
If so, giving it a star rating and comment helps others discover my blog and recipes. Thank you so much for your support!
Thanks for sharing your creations! Tag me on IG @ceeceecooks and Facebook!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Spicy Grilled Tofu Skewers Recipe
- 1 block organic tofu, extra firm*
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- small bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 chili pepper, diced fine
- ¼-1/3 cup tamari or soy sauce
- ½ lime or lemon, juice
- 1 tbsp gochujang paste
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 8 mushrooms, whole
- 4-8 tomatoes, cocktail
- 4 pieces onion, cut into chunks
- 8 pieces bell peppers, cut into chunks
- Press tofu block between layers of paper towels. Place a couple heavy cookbooks on top while you prepare other ingredients.
- Soak bamboo skewers if using.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp olive oil on medium-high heat in a small skillet, add garlic and let cook for a minute. Add chopped parsley and diced chili pepper (to taste).
- Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, remove from heat and set aside.
- Add tamari (add ¼ cup first and then more to taste), lime juice, gochujang paste, hot pepper flakes, and sesame seeds to garlic mixture. Stir to incorporate.
- Cut pressed tofu into cubes, place in marinade. Stir periodically.
- Wash, pat dry, and prepare vegetables as noted above.
- Preheat and oil the grill.
- Thread tofu and vegetables onto skewers.
- Place skewers on the hot grill, brush with marinade periodically while cooking and turning.
- When the tofu and vegetables are golden and lightly charred (approximately 15 minutes), remove from heat.
- Serve with a green salad, on brown rice or in a pita.
- Drizzle with your favourite vegan sauce - I love Earth Island (Follow Your Heart) Bleu Cheese, Ranch or Miso Ginger.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.