This delicious, dairy-free coleslaw dressing is the perfect addition to a crunchy cabbage salad. Easy to make, this vegan dressing is super creamy, smooth, and tangy. It's tastier than any store-bought dressing and is ready in under 5 minutes.
We are a slaw-loving family no doubt about it. I randomly concoct many different dressings sometimes creamy, sometimes pickled, sweet, sour, savoury, dilly, spicy - we love them all.
How to Make Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
Vegenaise - creamy, dairy-free base for the dressing.
Dijon mustard - creamy co-star plus it adds tanginess.
Red wine vinegar - adds so much tang! Sub in balsamic vinegar or even white vinegar with excellent results.
Maple syrup - just a titch, adds sweetness and smooths out the flavors.
Hot pepper flakes - optional but a nice, subtle hit of heat.
Cilantro - adds freshness and flecks of colour.
Coarsely ground black pepper & salt - flavour enhancers.
This coleslaw is extremely versatile. Shredded cabbage makes up the bulk of the slaw. A mixture of purple (maybe you call it red) and green cabbage is pretty and each brings a different nutrient profile. Shred using mandolin or a sharp knife.
After that anything goes! Try adding shredded carrots, Brussels sprouts, red peppers, and fresh bean sprouts. Whatever's in your garden, shred it up and throw it in.
Then toss the shredded vegetables with as much dressing as you like. We call it sloppy slaw so that may give you some idea of how much dressing we use!
Storing Salad Dressing
The dressing on its own can be stored in the fridge for up to a week in a jar with a lid.
For the best flavor and texture, coleslaw is best eaten the same day it's prepared.
What to Serve with Coleslaw
Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes - hot and spicy stuffed potatoes love sloppy slaw.
Sweet Summer Corn Tacos - fresh and sweet tacos topped with tangy crunchy slaw.
Holy Smokes Jackfruit Tacos with creamy slaw make a perfect pair!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Easy Delicious Coleslaw Dressing Recipe (dairy-free)
Rate this recipe!
Tangy Slaw Dressing Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons Vegenaise
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1.5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- coarsely ground black pepper (to taste)
- 6 cups thinly sliced (shredded) cabbage
- other vegetables, optional*
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted sunflower seeds
- hot pepper flakes or squirt of sriracha
To Make the Tangy Slaw Dressing
- Whisk together the slaw dressing ingredients. Taste and adjust to suit your preference.
To Make the Coleslaw
- Shred cabbage* (approximately half of a smalls head). We like green and purple. Use a mandolin if you have one or slice thin with a knife.
- Add grated carrots, thinly-sliced red peppers, shaved radish, chopped green onion, shaved Brussels sprouts, bean sprouts or any other other fresh veggies you enjoy.
- *Alternatively, grab a bag of coleslaw mix at the store and skip the prep altogether.
- Toss dressing with the slaw to combine.
- Top with toasted sunflower seeds, chopped cilantro, and a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.