Packed with veggies, beans, and cheesy goodness this spicy, vegan Tex-Mex lasagna is a real crowd pleaser. Made with spicy salsa and creamy Tex-Mex cashew cream, this vegan Mexican-style lasagna is bursting with big bold flavors and textures.
This spicy, smoky, cheesy Tex Mex Lasagna is a collision of two of my favourite things: Mexican food (taco/burrito/enchilada) and Italian food (lasagna). This southwestern twist on a classic Italian dish is a game changer - like ultra scrumptious. It's easy to make, super versatile and incredibly delicious! Really there is nothing this Tex Mex Lasagna can't do. Oh, and I forgot to mention, it's dairy free, meat free, and gluten free - WHAT?!!!
Tomatoes (fire roast if you prefer), chunky salsa (mild to hot - pick your poison), cumin, chilli powder, coriander, garlic, and smoky chipotles in adobo sauce make up the decadent sauce. Then pile on the beans, corn, peppers, sweet potato/squash, and onions. What really elevates this beauty is the addition of creamy, smoky layers of tex mex cashew cream and the spicy jalapeno cheese melting on top. Garnish with fresh tomatoes, green onions, avocado, olives, and hot peppers flakes; and you've got yourself a winner.
As you can imagine, this smoky, cheesy, southwestern take on lasagna is a big hearty dish making it perfect for food prep, potlucks, large family parties or college kids home for the holidays. It really doesn't matter where you take it, you can be sure the guests will swoon and there will be no leftovers! Not kidding. Being serious here. Get ready to be mobbed (for the recipe that is)!
Managing Your Time
- If making Jalapeno cheese - make it a few days before, here's the recipe.
- Can make Tex-Mex cashew cream ahead of time and store in fridge, 5 minute recipe.
- Cook lasagna noodles (if using) and set aside.
- Chop onions, peppers, garlic, sweet potato/squash (if using), grate or slice cheese.
- Prepare lasagna pan by spraying or pour a teaspoon of oil into your hands, rub together and then rub onto the pan like you are applying sunscreen to your child.
- While the lasagna is in the oven, prepare the toppings (green onion, tomatoes, avocado, olives (if using), and red pepper flakes) and place in serving dishes. I like to pass extra cashew cream and sriracha too!
I just know you are going to love this lasagna - everyone does - vegan or not!
More Vegan Lasagna Recipes
Vegan Lasagna w/ Creamy Bechamel - everyone loves this lasagna - vegan or not!
Easy Vegan Lasagna Roll Ups - with spinach and cauli-walnut crumble - extraordinary!
Cal-Ital Vegan Lasagna with Sausage - vegan comfort food at its very very best!
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Vegan Tex-Mex Lasagna Recipe
Rate this recipe!
- 1 tbsp oil (broth or water if oil free)
- 1 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup sweet potato or squash, large chop
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-2 red peppers (yellow or orange work too), chopped
- 1, 28 oz can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup salsa
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground corriander
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1, 19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1, 19 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 8-10 corn tortillas*
- 1-2 cups tex mex cashew cream (optional)
- 1 cup vegan cheese, shredded*
- 2 small tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- ½ cup olives, sliced
- Vegan Cheese - Use your favourite mozza / spicy shredded cheese or here's a recipe for a delicious Jalapeno cheese you can make at home (Make this a few days ahead of time).
- Cashew Cream - optional, but I think makes a wonderful addition. Recipe here but these are the ingredients you will need (½ cup cashews, water, salsa, garlic, cumin, lime, salt). If you have a high-speed blender like a Vitamix, this takes only a few minutes to make (you can do it while the filling is cooking).
- The Filling - Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large stirfry pan over medium-high heat. Add chopped onions and sweet potato or squash - cook, stirring as necessary until the squash is softening and the onions are fragrant, after about 4 minutes, add in the chopped peppers stirring to incorporate. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another 4 - 5 minutes (adjust the heat if necessary).
- Add the canned tomatoes and its juice (either break the tomatoes up with the back of a spoon, cut them or gently break them with your hands before you put them into the pan).
Add the salsa and all the spices - bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 10 - 15 minutes to let the juices thicken.
- Stir in the black beans, kidney beans, and corn (if using).
Taste and adjust seasonings - then remove from heat.
- Putting It All Together - Spray a 13x9 lasagna pan, cover the bottom of the pan with a layer of overlapping corn tortillas (I've used flour/ancient grain tortillas or even cooked lasagna sheets successfully when I'm out of corn tortillas - the non-corn variety of tortillas can become a bit soggy though - but work in a pinch). Spread with ½ the bean mixture, dollop ½ the cashew cream on top and gently spread it over bean mixture. Repeat with another layer of tortillas, the remaining bean mixture and swirl in any remaining cashew cream.
- Cheese it Up! - Top with 12 evenly spaces slices or shredded piles of your favourite vegan cheese and place covered in a pre-heated 350º F oven for 30 minutes.Remove the foil, increase the temperature to 375º F and cook for 5-10 more minutes. Sometimes, I broil for a few minutes at the end if the cheese is being non-compliant! Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
- Optional Toppings (but not really) - Meanwhile, slice (or chop) the tomatoes, green onions, olives, and avocado and place in serving dishes. As well pass any remaining cashew cream or vegan sour cream and hot pepper flakes along side the optional toppings.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Delicious and filling! Love this lasagna!
Thank you, Miranda! I'm so happy you love it!
The Tex Mex lasagna is such a delicious combination of everything that makes me happy. Great recipe! I love making things that my grandkids can help throw together with me With no fuss
Thank you, Karoline. I'm glad you enjoy making this recipe with your family. It's a good one!