This succulent vegan shawarma is a huge family favorite for good reason! It's packed with shawarma spiced soy curls, crispy chickpeas, creamy hummus, and fresh veggies wrapped in warm pita bread. But the secret that makes this THE BEST vegan shawarma wrap is the 2 craveable sauces!
We're obsessed with these vegetarian shawarma wraps! I mean, they have all the best parts of a classic shawarma, but they're meat free. Don't be fooled though, they are just as juicy, satisfying, and filling as traditional shaved chicken or beef shawarma sandwiches!
For this meaty, vegan version, I used shawarma spiced soy curls and chickpeas, tons of fresh veggies, creamy hummus, and shawarma sauces all wrapped up in a warm pita bread. The secret ingredient to making the best, juicy vegan shawarma is definitely the sauces. Yup, there's two!!
This plant based shawarma is incredible with just the dairy-free tzatziki sauce. However, to push the flavor profile over the top (highly recommended), I add an addictive sweet and spicy tahini sauce. This epic, flavor combination is pure magic.
Shawarma Ingredients (veggie version!)
This affordable meal uses only a few pantry and fridge items:
- Soy curls* (vegan meat replacement): Soy curls are the star of this vegetarian wrap. Generously seasoned with traditional Middle Eastern spices, they are crispy, tender, chewy, and juicy as they soak up all the shawarma flavors. Dang delicious!
- Chickpeas: Spiced then roasted, they add crispy texture and extra plant protein.
- Extra toppings: Cucumbers, tomatoes, pickled onions (or red onion slices), and shredded romaine.
- Shawarma spice blend: My homemade shawarma spice mixture is made up of paprika cumin, cinnamon, coriander, garlic, oregan, and cayenne. Along with olive oil and freshly squeezed lemon juice to make a paste.
- Shawarma sauces: Your choice! We're obsessed with the combination of sweet and spicy tahini and vegan tahini (both can be made up to a week in advance and are delicious on tacos, bowls, burgers, and so much more). Store bought or homemade vegan hummus.
- Pita bread: Store bought or homemade pita bread or flatbread.
Variations & Options
Customize your shawarma to your own taste. Keep it simple or add all the toppings, fillings, and sauces - it's up to you:
- Shawarma filling options: For this recipe I use both soy curls and chickpeas, but you can choose just one or the other. More meatless options to try: shredded mushrooms or seitan, crispy cauliflower, jackfruit or tofu. Whichever you choose, these vegetarian shawarma wraps, don't disappoint!
- Shawarma sauce ideas: Play with flavor combinations by switching up the sauces. Try different flavored tahini sauce or a lemon dill hummus.
- Get creative: Keep it on the lighter side and make a shawarma salad without the pita bread. Or try a shawarma bowl (gluten free) served on your favorite grain like quinoa or couscous.
What Are Soy Curls?
Soy Curl Spotlight: So let's talk about soy curls! Soy curls are an amazing plant-based meat substitute. They are made from soybeans which are rich in fiber and protein and are gluten free. I use the Butler Brand soy curls which are non-GMO soybeans, processed without chemicals, and packaged without additives or preservatives*.
How to Cook Soy Curls
I tried both pan frying and baking soy curls to find the best texture and flavor with the healthiest result. Although both methods were tasty, the sheet pan (baking) method was best for this shawarma recipe. It produced the most succulent, meaty results without too much hands-on time - leaving enough time to prepare the sauces and toppings.
If you are as surprised and impressed by the texture of soy curls as we are (it's quite similar to chicken tenders), try these soy curl recipes next: vegan cashew chicken, vegan ginger beef!
How to Make Vegan Shawarma
This recipe is easy to make, but it does have a few components. To save time, use store bought hummus, pita bread, and shawarma spice. As well, the sauces and spice blend can be made days in advance! Let's get into the details:
- Preheat the oven to 400º F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Hydrate the soy curls (8-10 minutes). Drain and gently squeeze excess liquid.
- Meanwhile mix shawarma spice blend then add in the lemon juice and oil to make a marinade. Toss the soy curls and then the chickpeas with the marinade to coat.
- Spread evenly in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- While the soy curls are baking, prep the veggies and make the non-dairy sauces.
- Serve vegan chicken shawarma on a pillowy pita bread with your favorite toppings, and a generous drizzle of sauce. Enjoy!
A few tips to make this shawarma recipe effortless:
- Soy curls: I give the soy curls a quick rinse after they're hydrated. Then gently squeeze excess water before marinating.
- Cooking time: The soy curls come in different sizes and shapes. The larger pieces will be succulent and juicy while the smaller pieces will be crispy. It's a great texture combination. If you want to the soy curls to be chewier, just leave them in the oven a bit longer. If it's your first time working with soy curls, take one out periodically and taste it to check the texture.
- Crispy chickpeas: For the crispiest chickpeas, try my air fryer chickpeas version.
- Extra flavor: Don't be afraid to spicy liberally! The neutral flavor of soy curls and chickpeas balance out the bold flavors of the shawarma spice.
- Easy clean up tip: For convenience, use the same bowl to coat the soy curls and then the chickpeas (not necessary to wash it out between). Use a parchment sheet on the sheet pan for effortless clean up.
- Make ahead: The sauces and shawarma seasoning can be made a day or two in advance, as can the pita bread if you are making it from scratch.
More Vegan, Dairy Free Sauces and Dips
Here at Simply Ceecee we're all about easy and flavorful vegan sauces. They're a simple way to add some pizzazz to everything from leftovers to vegan tacos, salads, burgers, and so much more. There's a sauce for everyone (dairy free, egg free, gluten free, plant based, vegetarian, oil free, low carb, keto, and always vegan). Here's some of our favorites:
- Vegan Ranch
- Everyday Tahini Sauce
- Peanut Hoisin Sauce
- Tex Mex Cashew Cream
- Potsticker Sauce
- Spicy Green Tahini
If you tried this epic Vegan Shawarma recipe or any other recipe on the blog, please let me know how you liked it by leaving a rating and review below! Be sure to follow along on Instagram and Pinterest for more delicious vegan recipes.
JOIN US SUNDAY MORNINGS: Sign up for my weekly NEWSLETTER!
Vegan Shawarma with Two Epic Sauces!
Rate this recipe!
- 4 ounces soy curls (dry measure)
- 19 ounce can chickpeas (drain, rinse, and pat dry)
Shawarma Seasoning/Marinade Ingredients
- 1 tablespoon paprika (sweet or smoked)
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder (2 cloves fresh garlic)
- 1 tablespoon dry oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse black pepper (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- extra water to thin sauce
- 1-2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 mini cucumbers, peeled, sliced
- romaine lettuce, sliced
- red onions (pickled or thin raw slices)
- ½ - 1 cup hummus (optional)
- parsley and dill, rough chop for garnish
- 1 tzatziki sauce recipe*
- 1 sweet and spicy tahini sauce*
- 4 pita bread
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread 1 tablespoon of oil even over the parchment for extra crispiness (optional).
- Prepare the soy curls: Hydrate soy curls as per package directions (using water or broth). I use Butler Brand soy curls. Half the 8 oz package is about ¾ of a pound hydrated.
- Drain & rinse the soy curls: Then gently squeeze excess liquid from soy curls.
- Shawarma blend: Stir all shawarma seasoning dry ingredients together in a small bowl. Then add the oil (or water if oil free) and ~2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add more water as needed to make a loose paste.
- Season the soy curls: Toss ¾ of the shawarma marinade with the soy curls in mixing bowl or large ziplock bag. Toss until the soy curls are evenly coated. Spread out in a single layer over ¾ of the prepared sheet pan.
- Season the chickpeas: Next add the chickpeas and the remaining marinade to the same bowl/bag. Toss to coat then spread out next to the soy curls.
- Into the oven: Bake for 23-26 minutes, stirring halfway through. Remove the chickpeas and any smaller soy curls if needed.
Make Sauces & Prep Toppings
- Sauces can be made several days in advance. Make one or both.
- Vegan Tzatziki (3-5 minutes)
- Sweet and Spicy Tahini Sauce (3 minutes)
- Prep the veggies: Slice and chop the toppings and fresh herbs while the soy curls are baking.
Assembling the Shawarma Wraps
- Warm both sides of the pita bread on a griddle/skillet over medium heat. Can also heat in the oven or microwave until warmed through.
- Add the filling: Lay the pita bread on a plate, top with a pile of soy curls, chickpeas, and veggie toppings. Liberally drizzle with the sauces. Sprinkle with chopped fresh herbs.
- Time to Dig in: Serve immediately with extra sauce for dipping and don't forget the napkins!
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Originally posted in October 2019. Revised June 2021 to include updated photos, tips, and substitutions.
The Tahini sauce is a 10/10. I could make this recipe 4 nights a week. My family loves it so much.
Yes, it's a super tasty sauce! I'm creating a baked whole cauliflower using this sauce for the holidays! Stay tuned!
This was the best vegan thing I have ever eaten
Why thank you, Scott. We agree, it's scrumptious!
This dish is out of this world! obsessed with these flavours
Thank you so much, Jenn! I'm glad you love the shawarma - we do too!!
Thank you, Dave! Glad you enjoyed!
Incredible recipe bursting with flavour. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you so much, Chef Steph! Enjoy.
Your entire write up is so informative (and delicious). I love knowing about the soy curl option now thank you for educating! Plus I love anything with chick peas. Keri them coming please!
You are welcome, Karoline! I hope you enjoy them.
This is incredible! The soy curls are so good. I would eat that tzatziki on anything!
Thank you so much, Darren. I'm happy that you enjoy the recipe!
What a abundance of flavours! Definitely one of the best vegan dishes I have ever made!
Lori, thank you! I'm so happy you enjoyed it! Our family loves it too!
For some reason the site is not allowing me to give a star rating but I had to provide my feedback regardless. AMAZING and INNOVATING creation, recipes like this is what helps me slowly convince my family that you don’t have to sacrifice flavor and food that feels indulgent by eating plant-based meals. I must also agree with the other feedback that the tahini dressing is on point! Would not change a thing.
Thank you so much for your feedback. This is my exact goal with the blog! I'm so happy you and your family enjoyed this recipe.
I made this recipe as written with the exception of chickpeas (I was out). This was fabulous! It will definitely go into my rotation. Thank you.
Thank you, Tina. I'm so happy you enjoyed!
So so good! Thank you Tracy this will be on regular rotation an instant favourite
Thank you so much. I'm happy you enjoyed it!
this was fantastic. A true winner. I didn't need to make any adjustments either. Will be making this again and for non-veg company. Thank you for a great recipe!
That's fantastic! Thank you for your comment - so happy you enjoyed!
Amazing Deliciousness. Made without any alterations to the recipe
Super informative and Hands Down the best!! The fact that it’s presentation is gorgeous and that it’s vegan is just a bonus. Have made it several times
Wow, thank you for the review. So happy you enjoyed!
The spicy soy curls and delicious vegan tahini and tzatziki sauces are fabulous together. This vegan shawarma is easy to make and fancy enough for company! 10/10!
Thank you, I'm so happy you enjoy this shawarma wrap. Us too! Those yummy dairy-free sauces are hard to resist.
This shawarma is so delicious - tons of flavor, incredible texture, and those vegan sauces are out of this world! Fabulous weeknight dinner idea!
Thank you so much! We love this soy curl shawarma too. The sweet and spicy tahini is my favorite but my family loves the tzatziki the most!
OMG, this vegetarian shawarma is THE BEST! The spicy soy curls are amazing. And that shawarma sauce is incredible. Thank you for an amazing vegan recipe - the whole family loves it!
Yay, so happy you enjoy it! Thanks for the review. Happy weekend!
Our family loves this vegetarian shawarma. The soy curls are so spicy and the texture is incredible. The veggies and shawarma sauce really make this an easy and delicious vegan dinner!
Thank you! I'm so happy your family enjoys this veggie shawarma! I agree the tahini sauce is so delicious!
Fabulous recipe! Made it as written, except I had made an Israeli salad (cukes, tomatoes, peppers, red onion etc..) and put that in the pitas instead of the sliced veggies. Will definitely make again!
Sounds amazing. Thank you so much for the review, Becky. Happy you enjoyed the veggie shawarma!