If this vegan shawarma wrap doesn't blow your hair back, I don't know what will! This Middle Eastern spiced vegan shawarma wrap is stuffed with succulent soy curl tenders and chickpeas baked to crispy perfection. The fresh vegetables, creamy hummus, and two sauces (sweet and spicy tahini sauce and tangy tzatziki) create a big bold, spicy, vibrant flavour profile that vegan dreams are made of. Served on warm, freshly made pita bread it's epic!
These succulent soy curl tenders are a game changer for all eaters (it's the new vegan chicken replacement)! Keep reading for all the nourishing ingredients, tips, vegan meat alternatives, serving suggestions, and time management tips . . .
Every Sunday my family gathers for dinner at our house. I look forward to it all week, and it's my favourite day of the week by far. However, everyone has different tastes and favourites which can be tricky to navigate.
Cooking with quality ingredients, incredible texture, and amazing flavours has always been a priority to me; and being a vegan cook has not changed that one bit. This healthy vegan shawarma wrap (maybe you call it gyro or donair) drizzled with classic dairy-free tzatziki and sweet and spicy tahini hits all the spots and leaves the WHOLE family satisfied - vegan or not!!
Why You Will Crave this Shawarma!
Picture this - a soft, warm pita slathered with creamy hummus then loaded with succulent soy curls and crispy chickpeas baked to perfection in Greek spices. It's so stuffed with fresh cucumber ribbons, juicy tomatoes, pickled onions, and jalapeños that you'll need both hands to hold this big bold juicy Greek sandwich. But wait! The secret to making this THE BEST vegan (vegetarian) shawarma wrap is the sauce. And this one is drizzled with two unbelievably luscious sauces!
There's no reason to miss out on this beloved Greek sandwich because you eat a plant-based/vegan diet. The Greek spices and vegetable toppings are same as the traditional shawarma, and dairy-free tzatziki is easy to make! All that's left is the shawarma or gyro vegan meat alternative for which there are many incredible choices including: shredded mushrooms, crispy chickpeas and cauliflower, shredded seitan, tofu, tempeh, jackfruit or soy curls!
Ingredient Spotlight - Soy Curls
So let's talk soy curls! Soy curls are an amazing plant-based meat substitute. They are made from soybeans which are rich in fiber and protein and are gluten free. I use the Butler Brand soy curls which are non-GMO soybeans, processed without chemicals, and packaged without additives or preservatives*.
Not going to lie, I was SUPER surprised and delighted by the texture which is quite similar to chicken tenders! Not even joking, they are the best vegan meat replacement ever! Plus they are super versatile - perfect vegan meat alternative for gyros, donair and shawarma sandwiches, vegan cashew chicken, vegan ginger beef, and so much more!
*Get all the soy curl nutritional information details on the Butler website.
How to Cook Soy Curls
I played around with cooking methods trying to find the best texture and flavour with the healthiest result. Although both pan frying and baking the soy curls were tasty, baking on a sheet pan was the best method for this shawarma wrap recipe. It produced the most succulent and flavourful result without too much hands-on time. This easy, baked method freed up 20-25 minutes to get those fabulous sauces made and the veggies prepared.
Addictive Secret Sauce (Sweet and Spicy Tahini Sauce)
This shawarma is incredible with traditional dairy-free tzatziki sauce; however, to push the flavour profile over the top (recommended), I liberally drizzled my incredible sweet and spicy tahini sauce. Sweet heat!! Talk about a flavor bomb going off in your mouth!!! Let's just say that this ultra flavorful sauce combination is pure magic.
What Wrap is Best for Shawarma?
This shawarma is juicy, like drip-down-your-arms, pass-the-extra-napkins, kinda juicy. Because of said juiciness, I suggest using freshly baked, warm pita bread; but don't stuff the filling inside the pocket, place it on top and wrap the pita around the filling. Similarly, a sturdy but pillowy-soft pizza flatbread or naan warmed and wrapped is utterly delicious.
Warm the wrap of choice in the oven on low heat, in the microwave or on a griddle over medium heat. Keeping in mind that you don't want the wrap to be crispy - just warm, but still pliable.
How to Make the Best Vegan Shawarma Sandwich
This recipe has a few steps; however, they are all super easy to make.
Preheat the oven to 400º F. Cover a baking sheet with parchment.
While the soy curls are hydrating (10 minutes), mix up the shawarma spice rub.
Drain, rinse, and pat dry the chickpeas.
Spice up the soy curls and chickpeas, spread evenly on sheet pan and bake until crispy.
Cut the fresh, crunchy veggies and make the both sauces.
Warm the pitas, naan or flatbread, and start assembling!
Assembling Your Vegan Shawarma/Gyros
It's fun to place all the dishes out and let your guests make their own vegetarian shawarma wrap. However, there is a bit of an art to making the best, least messy, wrap.
- First start with the warm wrap, add a generous layer of hummus (this helps things stick together).
- Next add the soy curls and chickpeas (don't overdo it - remember you have to wrap the pita around everything!).
- Toppings are next with cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, pickled onions, etc.
- After that, drizzle the sweet and spicy tahini sauce and the tzatziki on liberally. Wrap everything into a tight bundle, grab with both hands, and enjoy.
- Pass the extra napkins!
More Vegan, Dairy Free Sauces and Dips
We're all about a delicious, dairy-free (oil-free and gluten-free friendly) vegan sauces, drizzles, and dips at our house. Pretty much every meal the family wants to know, 'Where's the sauce?'! Here's some of our favorites:
Tahini Sauce Series: Sweet and Spicy Tahini Sauce (heavenly), Spicy Green Tahini (dang delicious) or classic Everyday Tahini Sauce (with a twist).
Simple Vegan Queso Cheese, thick and creamy - try it on nachos, tacos or breakfast burritos.
Tex Mex Cashew Cream - amazing on Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes and everything else!
Did you make my Best Vegan Shawarma Wrap recipe?
If so, giving it a star rating and comment helps others discover my blog and recipes. Thank you so much for your support!
Thanks for sharing your creations! Tag me on IG @ceeceecooks and Facebook!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Best Vegan Shawarma Wrap with Two Sauces!
- 1, 4 oz bag soy curls (dry measure)
- 1, 19 oz tin chickpeas, rinse and pat dry
- 1 Greek shawarma spice blend mix (below)
- 1 tzatziki sauce recipe
- 1 sweet and spicy tahini drizzle
- 1-2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 mini cucumbers, peeled, seeded, sliced
- romaine lettuce, chopped
- parsley and dill, rough chop for garnish
- pickled red onions*
- ½ - 1 cup hummus, homemade or store bought
- 3-4 pita, flatbread or naan
Greek Shawarma/Gyros Spice Blend Mix
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika powder2 tsp ground cumin powder1 tsp turmeric powder2 tsp coriander1 tsp onion powder2 tbsp dry oregano ¼ - ½ tsp cayenne pepperS&P3-4 cloves garlic, minced2 tbsp maple syrup (or coconut sugar)juice of 1 lemon
- Mix together in a small bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of oil (or if oil free, add 1 tbsp of water), juice of 1 lemon (or more to taste). Add another tablespoon of water or lemon juice if required to make a loose paste.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Spicy Soy Curls and Chickpeas
- Rehydrate soy curls as per package directions (using water or broth). I use these Butler Brand soy curls. Half the 8 oz package is about ¾ of a pound hydrated.
- Gently squeeze excess liquid from soy curls.
- Drain, rinse and pat dry the chickpeas.
- In a large bowl, pour ¾ of the spice blend paste over the soy curls and toss to coat. Spread out in a single layer over ¾ of the prepared baking sheet.
- Toss the chickpeas with the remaining spice blend paste and spread out next to soy curls.
- Bake for 15 minutes, stir and shake. After 5 more minutes - remove chickpeas and smaller soy curls. Return large pieces of soy curls to oven for another 5 minutes (if required).
- **Alternatively, you can place the chickpeas and soy curls on their own baking sheets.
- While the soy curls and chickpeas are in the oven, make the two sauces and cut the veggies (tomatoes, cucumbers, romaine, dill, parsley). Grab the pickled onions and hummus.
TZATZIKI SAUCE RECIPE (5 minutes)
- Make easy, dairy-free Tzatziki Sauce recipe
SWEET & SPICY TAHINI SAUCE (3-5 minutes)
- Warm pitas in the microwave, on a griddle over medium heat or throw into the already warm oven for a few minutes until warmed through. If using flatbread - warm it in the oven for a few minutes.
- Spread the pita/flatbread with a layer of hummus (use this quick delicious hummus or your favourite store bought). *If you like spicy hummus, just add a squeeze or two of sriracha to basic hummus and a drop or two of soy sauce!
- Load up the soy curl-chickpea mixture on top of the hummus. Then add the tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions (pickled or thinly sliced raw), chopped romaine, dill and parsley.
- Liberally drizzle tzatziki sauce and sweet and spicy tahini sauce over the filling and serve immediately. Don't forget the extra napkins!
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Originally posted in October 2019. Revised June 2021 to include updated photos, tips, and substitutions.