Delicious creamy, plant-based ricotta recipe that's ready in 5 minutes! The amazing ricotta texture and creaminess make it an authentic, vegan replacement for all your favourite Italian dishes.
I've included step by step instructions for making this gluten-free, oil-free, dairy-free, and nut-free friendly vegan tofu ricotta.
Whether you are dairy-intolerant or just don't eat dairy, this yummy vegan tofu ricotta is the perfect replacement. It has a mild flavour, lots of texture, and all the creaminess of ricotta sans dairy.
Try it on toasted sourdough with homemade Rich Red Marinara sauce and slices of red onion! Très delicious!
This ricotta replacement is naturally gluten-free and oil-free. Although cashews are used for creaminess, it can easily be subbed with plain yogurt for a nut-free version.
Pro Tip: seasonings may need tweaking if subbing yogurt - taste and adjust as needed.
Tofu (extra firm) - crumbled for authentic texture.
Cashew Sauce - adds creaminess and flavour. For nut-free version, sub with plain yogurt.
Lemon Juice - adds tanginess.
The Flavours - nutritional yeast, garlic, onion powder, and salt add and enhance depth of flavour.
The Garnish - fresh basil and red pepper flakes add colour and flavour.
Vegan Ricotta - easy step by step process
Press the tofu - because extra firm tofu doesn't have much water, it needs only a quick press. Wrap it in a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Place it under some heavy books while preparing the other ingredients.
Make the cashew cream - this is a breeze: everything into the blender and mix until smooth. Pro Tip: Store extra sauce in the fridge to drizzled over rice bowls or tacos all week. Here's some options to change up the flavour (cashew sauce).
Prep garnish - mince the garlic, chop the basil.
Method - using your hands or a fork, crumble the tofu into small bits similar to dairy ricotta. Add ¼ cup cashew cream and all remaining ingredients. Mix well until completely incorporated. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
Store any left-over ricotta in the fridge for 4-5 days in a covered container.
The ricotta can be frozen for a month in a freezer-friendly container. When ready to use, transfer to the fridge to thaw overnight. Give it a stir before use.
More Vegan Recipes
Spaghetti Squash Stuffed with Sausage Marinara - hearty and delicious comfort food.
Vegan Lasagna Roll - simple and delicious - plus they are super pretty!
Spaghetti Pie Bolognese - an old family favourite veganized.
Vegan Tofu Ricotta Recipe
- high speed blender
- ½ cup cashews, raw unsalted
- ½ cup plant-based milk (or water)
- 350 grams firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tsp lemon juice (to taste)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup basil leaves, chopped
- hot pepper flakes (optional)
- Making the cashew cream: Place the cashews, plant-based milk*/water, and salt in a high-power blender and process until smooth, thick, and creamy ~1 minute.
- Remove excess water from tofu by wrapping the block in a clean kitchen towel or a few paper towels. Place under a couple heavy cookbooks or a cast-iron pan while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Using your hands or a fork, crumble the tofu into small pieces in a medium bowl.
- Add lemon juice, nutritional yeast, minced garlic, onion powder, salt, and basil. Mix well. Taste for flavour and make adjustments as desired. Add hot pepper flakes if desired.
- Pour in ¼ cup cashew cream and stir to combine. Add more cashew cream as desired for creaminess.
- Store in a covered container in the fridge for 4 or 5 days or freeze in an air-tight container for a month.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.