As the daughter of the Queen of Sandwiches, my sandwich game is strong. This epic beauty is packed with baked tofu and sweet potatoes, horseradish guacamole, roasted tomatoes, and sriracha mayonnaise. Talk about an explosion of flavor!
If you are a sandwich lover like I am, I'm sure you'll love this healthy avocado chickpea salad sandwich, or an indulgent vegan meatball sub and the super popular vegan shawarma wrap is sure to knock your socks off.
Mother always told me, ‘Tracy, the bread is important, the sandwich has to be bursting with flavor and there must be great texture’. I hope you'll agree this incredible veggie tofu sandwich on toasted sourdough is all that!
Learn how to make an incredible vegan veggie sandwich every single time - check out my post 8 Epic Vegan Sandwich Ideas (+ how to build your own) where I break down all the sandwich building essentials!
Vegetable Tofu Sandwich Ingredients
This is an epic sandwich for a reason! It's jam packed with all our favorite sandwich fillings. Many of the components could easily come from leftovers, let me show you how to make this fantastic vegan sandwich without a lot of fuss . . .
Tofu - tofu slices are easy to make, healthy, gf, and super customizable. Double season them - by that I mean, season the slices and then add a sauce. Time Saver: Make a double batch of tofu slices on the stove-top griddle and store in the fridge. Stuff them in wraps with loads of veggies and hummus or add them to bowls and tacos.
Roasted Tomatoes - this recipe is a quick version of my incredible slow roasted tomatoes. Make a big batch of the slow roasted tomatoes and transform ordinary vegan lunches or dinners to extraordinary. They are simple to make and store well in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks. This quick version adds meatiness, juiciness, and flavor to any sandwich.
Time Saver: thick slices of fresh tomato with a sprinkle of salt and pepper make a tasty substitution when short on time.
Baked Sweet Potato - adds a tender sweet layer and great texture. Time Saver: make a sheet pan of sweet potatoes and store in the fridge to use all week.
Guacamole - so fresh and creamy but with a surprise ingredient! Time Saver: sub in avocado slices when you're in a hurry.
Bread - my number one choice is always toasted sourdough or a grainy bread. But we enjoy a yummy homemade pita as well!
Optional Toppings and Sandwich Sauces
Fresh vegetables add more layers of freshness, crunch, nutrients, and flavor. Try cucumbers, grated carrots, cabbage or sprouts.
Swap out the butter with hummus which is more nourishing and adds great flavor. I added a spicy mayo this time, but sweet and spicy tahini sauce or spicy green tahini sauce would be outstanding as well!!!
Meal Prep and Storage Tips
Make the baked tomatoes, tofu, baked sweet potatoes, tahini sauce, and hummus up to several days in advance. Repurpose extras into tacos, bowls or wraps for quick and easy lunch and dinners all week.
More Favorite Vegan Lunch Ideas
Coconut Curry Cauliflower Soup - packed with veggies, bursting with flavor
Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans - super healthy, protein rich and flavorful!
Avocado Tomato Cucumber Salad - with balsamic reduction
Thai Peanut Lettuce Noodle Wraps - easy, healthy, fresh and delicious
Peanut Butter Banana Bread - must have sweets! Famous for a reason . . .
Did you make this Epic Veggie and Tofu Sandwich recipe?
I'd love to see it! Tag me on IG @ceeceecooks and Facebook!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Epic Veggie and Tofu Sandwich
Rate this recipe!
- 8-10 cherry/cocktail tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4-8 leaves basil, chopped
Black Pepper Tofu Slices
- 1 block tofu (firm - extra firm), pressed
- black pepper & salt
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- 4-8 slices sweet potato
- 1 teaspoon oil
- sprinkle garlic powder, cumin
- 2 avocados
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 lime, juice
- ¼ cup cilantro, rough chop
Spicy Sriracha Mayo
- ¼ cup Vegenaise
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- ½ - 1 teaspoon soy sauce/tamari
Additional Optional Toppings
- 4-8 slices cucumber
- purple cabbage, sliced thin
- ¼ cup hummus
- picked hot pepper rings
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Press half a package of firm or extra firm, organic tofu between sheets of paper towelling under heavy cookbooks for 10 minutes while the oven is preheating. Pro Tip: I typically make the whole block and enjoy the leftover tofu all week.
Baked Tomatoes (these can be made a week ahead of time)
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half and place in an 8x8 pan, cut side up.
- Mix together the olive oil, salt and pepper, minced garlic cloves, and chopped basil. Spoon over cut tomatoes.
- Place into the oven until they are juicy and caramelizing on the edges.
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Slice sweet potato into ¼-1/2" pieces (enough to cover however many sandwiches you are making), rub them with a light coat of oil.
- Place in an 8x8 pan or on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic powder and cumin (or any spices you enjoy).
- Place in oven for 10 minutes - flip the slices and return to oven for another 5-10 minutes until golden and tender.
Black Pepper Crusted Tofu
- Slice the pressed tofu like a loaf of bread in slabs about ¼"-½" thick. Dust both sides of tofu with liberal amounts of cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of salt.
- Sear in a hot, non-stick skillet over medium high until crispy and golden.
- Cooking Tofu Tip: Add the tofu to the skillet. Don't touch it until it naturally releases from the pan. It takes only a few minutes. If you try to flip it too soon, the tofu sticks and makes a mess of your pan.
- Once flipped, brush with BBQ sauce and fry until the bottom is golden.
Horseradish Guacamole (or avocado slices)
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and place in a medium bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of prepared horseradish (more to taste), S&P, a squeeze of lime juice, and a handful of rough chopped cilantro.
- Gently mash together until desired texture is met. I leave the guacamole pretty chunky.
Spicy Sriracha Mayo (1 minute sauce)
- Stir the Vegenaise, sriracha, and tamari together until smooth.
- Hummus - use your favourite store bought hummus or if you want to make homemade, try my quick and delicious hummus recipe.
- Toast the sourdough slices. Slather with hummus.
- Add the fillings of your choice - sweet potatoes, tofu, tomatoes, cucumbers, guacamole, cabbage, greens or sprouts.
- Drizzle with spicy mayo and add the top slice of toast.
- Garnish with pickled hot pepper rings or your favorite pickle.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Leave a Reply