As the daughter of the Queen of Sandwiches, my sandwich game is strong. This epic beauty is packed with everything from tofu and sweet potatoes to horseradish guacamole and baked tomatoes. Talk about an explosion of flavor!
If you are a sandwich lover like I am, I'm sure you'll love this healthy avocado chickpea salad sandwich, this indulgent, saucy, vegan meatball sub and my succulent vegan shawarma wrap is sure to knock your socks off.
Keep reading and I'll share my tips, meal prep ideas, leftover cheats, and healthy options for creating a delicious vegetarian (plant-based) sandwich.
Mother always told me, ‘Tracy, the bread is important, the sandwich has to be bursting with flavor and there must be great texture’. I hope you'll enjoy this incredible, flavourful, crunchy-soft-creamy-chewy, vegan sandwich on toasted sourdough! It's great stuffed into a pita too!
Epic Vegetarian Sandwich Ingredients
This is called an epic sandwich for a reason! It's jam packed with all our favorite sandwich fillings. Truth be told, many of the components could easily come from leftovers, let me show you how to make this fantastic vegan sandwich without a lot of fuss . . .
Tofu - tofu slices are easy to make, healthy, and super customizable. Double season them - by that I mean, season the slices and then add a sauce. I make a batch of tofu slices on the stove-top griddle every week and store them in the fridge. We stuff them in wraps and add them to bowls and tacos.
Baked Tomatoes - this recipe is a quick version of my incredible slow roasted tomatoes. Make a big batch of the slow roasted tomatoes and transform ordinary vegan lunches or dinners to extraordinary. They are simple to make and store well in the fridge for 2 or 3 weeks. This quick version adds meatiness, juiciness, and flavor to any sandwich. Alternatively, thick slices of a tomato in season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper would be a great and quick substitution!
Baked Sweet Potatoes - adds a tender sweet layer and great texture. Sweet potatoes are super versatile and store well in the fridge to be added to any dish all week long. These slices are a riff on my beloved baked stuffed sweet potato recipe.
Guacamole - our family loves guacamole, it's so fresh and creamy! I like a flavor twist so added some prepared horseradish this time - great choice! Slices of avocado would be an easy and delicious shortcut to get a similar flavor/texture without any fuss.
Bread - my number one choice is always toasted sourdough or a grainy bread. But we enjoy a yummy homemade pita as well!
Optional Toppings and Sandwich Sauces
Fresh vegetables add more layers of freshness, crunch, nutrients, and flavor. Try cucumbers, grated carrots, cabbage or sprouts.
Swap out the butter with hummus which is more nourishing and adds great flavor. I added a spicy mayo this time, but sweet and spicy tahini sauce or spicy green tahini sauce would be outstanding as well!!!
Meal Prep and Storage Tips
The baked tomatoes, tofu, baked sweet potatoes, tahini sauce, and hummus can all be made several days in advance. Plus any extras can be repurposed into tacos, bowls or wraps for quick and easy lunch and dinners all week.
More Favorite Vegan Lunch Ideas
Coconut Curry Cauliflower and Mushroom Soup - it's incredible and delicious as leftovers.
Corn + Zucchini Fritters - easy to make and super irresistible!
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread - must have sweets! Famous for a reason . . .
Did you make this Epic Veggie and Tofu Sandwich recipe?
If so, giving it a star rating and comment helps others discover my blog and recipes. Thank you so much for your support!
Thanks for sharing your creations! Tag me on IG @ceeceecooks and Facebook!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Epic Veggie and Tofu Sandwich
- 8-10 cherry/cocktail tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4-8 leaves basil, chopped
Black Pepper Tofu Slices
- 1 block tofu, pressed
- black pepper & salt
- ¼ cup sriracha sauce or BBQ sauce
Baked Sweet Potato Slices
- 4-8 slices sweet potato
- 1 tsp oil
- sprinkle garlic powder, cumin
- 2 avocados
- 1 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 lime, juice
- ¼ cup cilantro, rough chop
Spicy Sriracha Mayo
- ¼ cup Vegenaise
- 1-2 tbsp sriracha, to taste
- ½ - 1 tsp tamari
Additional Optional Toppings
- 4-8 slices cucumber
- purple cabbage, sliced thin
- ¼ cup hummus
- picked hot pepper rings
- 4 slices sourdough bread, toasted
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Press half a package of firm or extra firm, organic tofu between sheets of paper towelling under heavy cookbooks for 10 minutes while the oven is preheating. Pro Tip: I typically make the whole block and enjoy the leftover tofu all week.
Baked Tomatoes (these can be made a week ahead of time)
- Cut cherry tomatoes in half and place in an 8x8 pan, cut side up.
- Mix together the olive oil, salt and pepper, minced garlic cloves, and chopped basil. Spoon over cut tomatoes.
- Place into the oven until they are warm and caramelizing on the edges.
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Slice sweet potato into ¼-1/2" pieces (enough to cover however many sandwiches you are making), rub them with a light coat of oil.
- Place in an 8x8 pan or on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with garlic powder and cumin (or any spices you enjoy).
- Place in oven for 10 minutes - flip them all after 10 minutes and return to oven for another 5-10 minutes until golden and tender.
Black Pepper Tofu Slices
- Slice the pressed tofu like a loaf of bread in slices about ¼" thick. Dust both sides of tofu with liberal amounts of cracked black pepper and a sprinkle of salt.
- Sear in a hot skillet on the stove until crispy and golden on both sides.
- Cooking Tofu Tip: Add the tofu to the skillet. Don't touch it until it naturally releases from the pan. It takes only a few minutes. If you try to flip it too soon, it sticks and makes a mess of your pan.
- Brush with sriracha sauce, BBQ sauce or any favorite sauce and place the pan in a 400º F oven for 5 minutes.Tip: When the tomatoes or sweet potatoes come out, throw the tofu in for 5 minutes.
Horseradish Guacamole (or avocado slices)
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the pits, and place in a medium bowl.
- Add 1 tbsp of prepared horseradish (more to taste), S&P, a squeeze of lime juice, and a handful of rough chopped cilantro.
- Gently mash together until desired texture is met. I leave the guacamole pretty chunky.
Spicy Sriracha Mayo (1 minute sauce)
- Stir the Vegenaise, sriracha, and tamari together until smooth.
Easy Vegan Hummus
- Hummus - use your favourite store bought hummus or if you want to make homemade, try my quick and delicious hummus recipe.
- Toast the sourdough slices. Slather with hummus.
- Add the fillings of your choice - sweet potatoes, tofu, tomatoes, cucumbers, guacamole, cabbage, greens or sprouts.
- Drizzle with spicy mayo and add the top slice of toast.
- Garnish with pickled hot pepper rings or your favorite pickle.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.