This simple but indulgent vegan affogato coffee dessert recipe is going to blow you away. It's a dreamy combination of bitter, sweet, salty, caramel, chocolate, hot, frozen, creamy crunchy yumminess. You're going to love it!
What is Affogato?
Affogato (pronounced like this) means to drown. In this traditional Italian dessert, it's the vanilla ice cream being drown by a shot of bitter espresso coffee. It's incredibly delicious I mean everyone loves a fancy coffee with cream, right?
Ingredients for Vegan Affogato Dessert
I took some liberties with my affogato dessert! In this amped up and veganized version, I made luscious salted caramel sauce to dollop and drizzle over the dessert. The combination of bitter coffee, cream dairy-free ice cream, and salted caramel is seriously spectacular.
Here's what you'll need:
Dairy-free Ice Cream - there are so many dairy-free ice cream choices these days from making your own 'nice cream', coconut based, chickpea based, and my favourite - cashew based ice cream (I love So Delicious)! I've used the So Delicious Vanilla and Salted Caramel in this dessert and both were delicious.
Espresso Coffee - strong and bitter is best. One shot + one scoop = one serving.
Caramel - ridiculously easy and fast to make, this caramel sauce is for those days you are feeling extra indulgent. You can buy a container of vegan caramel sauce at the store, but I used Yumsome's condensed milk recipe which is super easy.
WARNING: In all fairness to you, this caramel sauce is addictive so beware. Day 3 in the fridge is my favourite for the caramel flavour and texture!
Chocolate Drizzles or Curls - why choose? Grate or curl some chocolate to sprinkle over the dessert right before serving. Melt a few chunks of chocolate to drizzle over top.
Pro Tip: slightly warm a chunk of vegan chocolate in the microwave and then grate it on a box grater. For chocolate curls, slightly warm the chocolate so it's pliable. Using a vegetable peeler, scrape across the chocolate to create beautiful chocolate curls.
What's your mood? Simple and traditional or fancy and indulgent? Either way, you can't lose, this incredible affogato is a winner; and you'll be dreaming about after the first taste.
What to Serve with Affogato
Traditionally affogato would be served with Biscotti. This vegan biscotti recipe is the best there is. Toasted walnuts in pools of melted caramel in a crunchy biscotti biscuit.
Caramel affogato is the perfect fancy dessert for a romantic dinner, a Sunday family feast or just any day you want something sweet and a little caffeine buzz!
For Your Vegan Sweet Tooth
Epic Marshmallow Chocolate Chunk Cookie Cups - irresistible, one-bowl vegan cookies!
One-Bite Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups - blog favourite, easy to make crowd favourite!
Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies like a vegan millionaire bar - but better! Use your leftover salted caramel sauce!
Did you try this Vegan Affogato Dessert recipe? If so, giving it a star rating and comment helps others discover my blog and recipes.
Thank you so much for your support!
I love seeing your creations so tag me on IG @ceeceecooks and Facebook!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Decadent Vegan Affogato Dessert Recipe
- 2 scoops dairy-free ice cream*
- 2 shots espresso
- 1 recipe caramel sauce*
- 2 oz vegan chocolate, melted (optional)
- vegan chocolate, grated or chopped
- pinch of salt
How to Make Vegan Caramel Sauce
- INGREDIENTS150 grams coconut cream powder (~⅔ cup)150 grams coconut palm sugar (~⅔ cup)120 ml warm water (~½ cup)2 tablespoons refined coconut oil (melted) pinch of sea salt
- METHODPlace all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend on high for 2-3 minutes until thick and gooey. Place in airtight container in fridge - it gets thicker as it chills.
Chocolate Drizzle or Chocolate Sprinkles
- Melt your favourite vegan chocolate for drizzles.
- To make sprinkles, finely chop a small piece of vegan chocolate. For a fancier version, slightly warm the chocolate chunk and then grate on the larger side of a box grater.
Assembling the Affogato Dessert
- Scoop your favourite dairy-free ice cream (this is the one I love) into a pretty mug. One scoop per serving.
- Make a shot of espresso and pour over the scoop of ice cream.
- Drizzle/dollop caramel sauce over ice cream.
- Drizzle melted chocolate, add a pinch of finishing salt, and a sprinkle of chopped chocolate.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.