This peanut butter chocolate chip vegan banana bread is a banana bread lovers dream come true. It has an incredibly tender, moist, crumb and a gorgeous golden crust. Each bite is bursting with banana and chocolate flavors, a kiss of peanut butter, and crunchy walnuts. It's the best dang banana bread recipe ever! Gluten free version too!
Sometimes I've got only 1 ripe banana and when that happens, I make these small batch vegan banana nut muffins - only 1 bowl and 30 minutes!
Why Everyone Loves this Banana Bread
I know there are a lot of banana bread recipes out there (especially recently), but this vegan banana bread has a couple things that make it THE BEST!
- easy to make - only one-bowl and a few simple ingredients
- perfect texture - super tender and moist but substantial crumb with an amazing crust
- incredible flavor - sweet banana with a hint of nuttiness and flecks of chocolate
- crowd pleaser - EVERYONE loves this banana bread - vegan or not!
- versatile - gluten free, chocolate free, nut free and egg free banana bread options
- reliable recipe - turns out perfect every. single. time
- simple recipe - for newly vegan eaters and easy recipe for beginner cooks
Vegan baking is a little trickier than vegan cooking mostly because of science, but also because typically a few ingredients are being replaced which can affect texture and flavor. This vegan banana bread is made without eggs or dairy which impacts both flavor and texture, but you won't miss either in this recipe!
As well, making a recipe gluten free also affects the texture; but this gluten free banana bread is super delicious so don't worry about that.
Select spotty bananas because as the bananas ripen, they get softer, sweeter and the depth of flavour is intensified.
Can I freeze bananas? Yes! When bananas are on sale (or reduced), buy them in bulk. Once spotty, peel the bananas, place them on a baking sheet in a single layer and then pop them into the freezer for half an hour. Then transfer the whole, frozen, bananas to a freezer bag. When you have a craving for some yummy banana bread, remove 3 from the bag and let them come to room temperature before baking.
I've tested several different vegan egg replacements over the years. For texture, flavour, and nutritional benefit, the flax egg is my number one choice for this banana bread. However, you can sub in 3 tablespoons of aquafaba (chickpea liquid) or your favorite vegan egg replacer.
The addition of peanut butter adds a bit of indulgence, rich depth of flavor, protein, improved texture, and a hint of nuttiness. I've had the best success with a medium to runny peanut butter. If your peanut butter is thicker, add an extra tablespoonful of milk when you are beating it with the butter and sugar to keep the batter light.
You could sub the peanut butter for any nut/seed butter or just more butter/oil.
Texture matters (always) but with vegan baking in particular! The addition of chocolate dust, toasted walnut shards, and caramelized banana slices creates an incredible crust and a flavor combination that takes this egg free banana bread over the top!
Walnut Shards - walnut halves broken in two to make long thin pieces which are then lightly pushed into the loaf surface. The walnuts become toasted and crunchy while the loaf bakes.
Vegan Chocolate - This recipe uses chocolate two ways - chips or chunks are stirred into the batter and chocolate dust (finely chopped chocolate) is sprinkled over top.
Among others, I use Enjoy Life and Costco brand dairy-free chocolate chips. But there are so many delicious options for vegan/dairy-free chocolate now!
Pro Tip: Be sure to check the ingredients for dairy sources - 'may contain' means it is made in a facility that uses dairy, but dairy is not an ingredient added to the product.
Why this Recipe Works - pro tips!
This vegan banana bread recipe is a sure thing. It's a reliable recipe that produces a perfect loaf of banana bread every time. Even the gluten free version! This is a pretty simple recipe, but here's a few things I've learned over the years . . .
- You get the most flavor from super ripe, spotty bananas. My family doesn't LOVE a strong banana flavor so bananas that are 'semi' overripe work for us!
- Cut a few thin slices off the end of one banana before mashing. Sprinkle those slices with coconut sugar for a gorgeous caramelized garnish.
- The butter and peanut butter blend more easily if they are at room temperature.
- Don't over mix your batter. When you mix it until it's super smooth, it changes the banana bread texture. This loaf is pretty rustic and a little dense (just the way we love it). But overmixing activates the gluten and the texture becomes too refined, can lean toward gummy, and seems overly processed (no one wants that). So mix, but not too much!
- I have a very old (but perfectly calibrated) electric oven, my altitude is ~3550' (1084 m), plus it's super dry here - these factors along with choice of pan each impacts baking time so keep your eyes on your banana loaf for the last 10 minutes to determine your perfect baking time - 56 minutes for me.
- Don't let the banana bread cool completely in the loaf pan, it steams the sides of the banana bread and makes it too soft (aim for tender not soft). So release the loaf after about 8 or 10 minutes and let it cool completely on a wire rack for the best texture.
How long does Banana Bread last?
Refrigerator - If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, wrap the banana loaf and store on the counter for 1-2 days or in the fridge for up to a week. My preference is to store in the fridge. This banana bread has never lasted more than two days at our house tho - it's pretty sought after.
Freezer - Banana bread freezes very well. Once completely cool, wrap the whole loaf (or individual slices) in plastic wrap and tin foil and place in freezer. Remove from freezer and bring to room temperature before serving.
It's no secret, I like pretty food and this vegan peanut butter chocolate chip banana bread is a show stopper! It's a perfect hostess during the holidays or thank you gift and is lovely for afternoon coffee with friends. I have it on good authority that it's 'the most incredible banana bread ever'! Happy Baking!
More Vegan Dessert Recipes
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes - Mother's favourite birthday cupcakes!
Eggless Banana Nut Muffins - small batch muffins with life-changing topping options!!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies - irresistibly delicious and easy!
Vegan Raisin Cookies - Not too sweet, perfectly spiced!
No Knead Overnight Bread - Family favorite hot out of the oven!
Did you make my Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe? If so, please leave a comment and a rating below.
For more vegan food inspiration, follow along on Instagram and Facebook!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Easy Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Rate this recipe!
- ⅓ cup vegan butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 1 flax egg
- 1 - 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ¾ cup flour, ap
- 1 ¼ cups ripe bananas (3 medium-large bananas)
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ¼ cup walnut, halves
- Pre-heat oven to 350º FGrease the inside of a loaf pan and add a thick strip of parchment paper for easy release.
- Cut 6-8 slices off one banana and set aside for garnish.
- Mash the remaining bananas with a fork.
- Mix a flax egg using 1 tablespoon of flax seed powder and 3 tablespoons of warm water. Set aside.
- Remove ~10 chocolate chips from portion and finely chop. Set aside for garnish.
- Cream butter, peanut butter, and sugar with hand beaters until light. (You could beat by hand with a wooden spoon as well.)
- Add prepared flax egg, vanilla, and milk - mix until light and smooth.
- Measure out flour using the spoon and level method*. Stir the baking powder and baking soda into the flour.
- Add the mashed bananas and flour alternately to the creamed ingredients mixing on low or using wooden spoon just until incorporated (don't over mix the batter).
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan. The batter will with thick.
- Arrange the banana slices evenly on the loaf (gently pressing them into place).
- Poke the walnut shards into the surface of the loaf so they are sticking up and cover the entire loaf.
- Sprinkle evenly with chopped chocolate dust.
- Bake in oven until a toothpick comes out clean - approx. 56 minutes*.
- *Depending on how hot your oven runs, pan size and type, altitude etc, the loaf could take slightly less or more time in the range of 50-60 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan before releasing to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before slicing with a serrated knife.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Omg we have made this 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Needless to say I'm obsessed!!!!????????
Thank you so much! I'm so happy you enjoy it!
Amazing Truly outstanding taste and texture. Kids love it and we love to share ( but ...um we always squirrel away a little “supply” just for us.) Yum
So happy your family loves the banana bread! Thank you
I love this banana bread. It is so delicious! The crunch top is delightful. So much flavour with the chocolate and bananas and nuts!!!! I really love the dense texture. You really know you’ve had something wonderful to eat and it’s so fulfilling. Best banana bread EVER
Oh, thank you so much, Karoline. I'm so happy that you love the banana bread.
Truly amazing! Best banana bread I’ve ever had.
Thank you so much, Jane! I'm so happy you enjoy the banana bread!
Best banana bread ever! Easy to follow recipe!
Thank you, Jennifer! We agree!
A Classic improved by being Vegan ! Wow. Hands down the best Love how you explain your recipes.
Thank you so much, Drew!
Amazing banana bread! My family loved it and so easy to make!
Thank you so much for your feedback, Sandi. We love it too!
This is an amazing banana bread I have made it several times already. It’s going to part of my recipe collection for sure. Thanks so much for sharing Tracy????
Thank you so much, Linda! I'm happy you enjoy it!
This is simply the best banana bread I've ever eaten!
Thank you so much, Marcy. We agree!!!
This is the most incredible banana bread! My favorite
Thank you, Scott! I'm so happy you enjoy it.
I have made this several times, its SO delicious!!! Our favorite banana bread recipe to date and such an easy recipe to follow. The peanut butter is so unique and adds an incredible slight decadence to the bread. Thank you!!
Stephanie, thank you so much for your feedback. I'm so happy that you enjoy it!!
Any idea how it works with gluten-free 1-1 flour?
Hi, thank you for the question. Yes! Thea who left a comment above makes it gluten-free all the time. I have also made it gluten-free a couple of times.
Thank you for the delicious recipe made it today for the first time and it’s sooo good I’m sure it will be in regular rotation!
That's fantastic. Thank you for the review!
Yum! Yum! Yum! This was so good - my whole family loved it!
Yay! So happy to hear. Thank you!
Thanks for this delicious recipe. Loved the smooth texture and the peanut butter gave it that extra layer of flavour. Gets 2 👍🏻From my 2 year old granddaughter too.
YAY! So great to hear! Thank you for the review.
can I change the "⅓ cup vegan butter, softened" FOR apple sauce?
I have not tested it with apple sauce. It would change the texture. Let me know if you try it!