Quick and easy vegan parmesan cheese recipe that's a great alternative to parmesan cheese. This salty, nutty, cheesy parmesan replacement is delicious on all your favorite Italian dishes, grilled vegetables, and stuffed baked potatoes.
This cheese is nuts! A dairy-free parmesan cheese alternative that is similar in texture to grated parmesan that comes in a shaker. Easy to make, great flavor and texture, and has a long shelf life. This vegan style shakeable parmesan makes everything more flavorful!
Ingredient Shopping List
- cashew nuts - raw, unsalted, cashews. Buy in bulk, the big bag at Costco or online (affiliate link)
- nutritional yeast - super popular, nutritious, vegan pantry ingredient aka 'nooch'. It's a deactivated yeast (not to be confused with Brewers yeast or baking yeast) that adds a cheesy, nutty flavor to dairy-free and vegan cooking! Incredible sprinkled over popcorn and French fries!!!
Widely available in grocery stores (natural aisle) and online (affiliate link).
- garlic powder - enhances the cheesy flavor profile. Add more or less to your taste.
- salt - use sea salt, kosher salt or even table salt to taste.
I think this combination makes THE best vegan parmesan. I've tried making it with raw walnuts, almonds, and pistachios instead of cashews; but this combination has been our family favorite for many years. Not my original recipe, but a super popular one with vegan bloggers. *See some nut free alternatives in the recipe notes.
How to Make Vegan Parmesan Cheese
I think you'll love this recipe because it's quick and easy, has a long shelf life (I store mine in the fridge for several months), is a great non-dairy substitute for parmesan cheese and it's super nutritious and delicious!
- Place the raw, unsalted cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, and salt into the food processor.
- Pulse a few times until it's mealy (similar to the texture of Kraft grated parmesan that comes in a shaker). Don't over process or you end up with cashew butter!
Pro Tip: No food processor? No problem, place cashews in a ziplock then roll/smash them with a heavy rolling pin until desired texture.
- That's it! Taste it, adjust the seasonings to your preference.
- Store in a jar in the fridge for several months.
5 Ways to Use Vegan Parmesan
Shake cashew parmesan cheese over pasta, salads, grilled veggies, and tofu scramble - anywhere you would shake dry, grated parmesan (not fresh, melty parmesan). Try it on popcorn and French fries!
- Mushroom Sausage Rolls - epic vegan sausage rolls that EVERYONE raves about!
- Hearty Vegan Lentil Bolognese - family favorite, easy to make, great for meal prep!
- Quick Eggplant Cauliflower Pasta Bowl - quick and easy vegan weeknight meal.
- Authentic Italian Marinara Sauce - the BEST marinara sauce ever!
- Quick and Easy Vegan Pesto Recipe - super adaptable, tangy, and delicious.
Vegan parmesan cheese made with nutritional yeast, cashews (or other nuts and seed), garlic powder and salt makes a great non-dairy substitution for shakeable/grated parmesan cheese.
There are two types of parmesan cheese used in recipes, the shakeable/grated dry parmesan cheese that doesn't melt and the fresh, shredded grated parmesan cheese that melts.
The grated parmesan cheese is easy to replicate in flavor and textures using cashew or hemp seeds and nutritional yeast which is a cheesy tasting deactivated yeast (aka nooch). Like this recipe!
There are many brands that make tasty dairy-free, meltable parmesan cheese now - two popular brands are Violife and Follow Your Heart.
More Vegan Cheese Alternatives Recipes
Feta cheese - the most delicious vegan feta cheese ever!
Creamy tofu ricotta - easy, creamy, great texture and flavor.
Vegan mozzarella - grateable, shredable, sliceable, meltable - coming soon
Incredible queso cheese sauce - big smoky cheese flavors - impossible to resist!
Did you make this quick and easy vegan parmesan cheese recipe? If so, please leave a review and comment below. I appreciate your support!
Follow me on Instagram @ceeceecooks, and Facebook
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Vegan Parmesan Cheese (quick + easy)
- food processor
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ½ - 1 teaspoon garlic powder (to taste)
- ½ - ¾ teaspoon sea salt (to taste)
- Place all ingredients in the food processor and pulse until mealy like dry parmesan. Makes ~ 1 cup.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Originally posted March 2018, updated photos and directions October 2021.