This vegan sausage rolls recipe is the best! Flaky, golden layers of tender puff pastry filled with the most incredibly addictive, savory mushroom filling. Dip them in honey mustard sauce for extra deliciousness!
These vegan/vegetarian sausage rolls are easy to make, freeze well, are delicious leftover, and I have it on good authority that they are simply irresistible!
These irresistible vegan mushroom sausage rolls are the shining star at every cocktail party, family get together, dinner party, and holiday celebration we've ever hosted. Sure to impress, and popular with vegan, vegetarian, and meat eaters alike, these appetizers are ALWAYS the first to go!
**Insider Tip: Make sure you 'test' one or two at home before the party or you'll likely miss out! No joke! They are THAT scrumptious and THAT popular.
Quick and easy to make, here's the few ingredients you'll need . . .
Puff Pastry: Definitely a major component of veggie sausage rolls - the puff pastry must be tender, golden, and flaky. Luckily vegan puff pastry sheets can easily be found in grocery stores these days which is super convenient. *Check the ingredients on package to ensure vegan.
Mushrooms: The moreish mushroom-onion filling is for sure the star in this mushroom roll recipe. Mushrooms add incredible umami flavour but also wonderful toothsomeness that is definitely a game changer. The best mushrooms to use for these vegetarian style sausage rolls: chestnut, oyster, cremini, button or mix it up and use a combination of each.
Cashew Nuts: Cashew nuts take the filling flavour and texture over the top. They add a slight sweetness, creaminess, and magically transform the texture. Can sub for another nut - walnuts work well. I'd add ~½ teaspoon of maple syrup if using walnuts to replace sweetness of cashews.
Flavour Enhancers: The pairing of tamari /soy sauce, fresh thyme, garlic, and nutritional yeast is the perfect combination of savory herbaceousness. The subtle earthiness with the garlicky, salty-sweet, umami flavours of the filling will have you reaching for seconds and thirds! (affiliate link)
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce: Optional but honestly such an incredible flavor combo. Quick and easy to make, oil-free and vegan honey mustard sauce.
Let's Make Sausage Rolls (vegan style)
Very easy to make, these mushroom sausage rolls take only a few steps, but taste like you fussed! Always a HUGE hit at parties, you'll probably want to double the recipe (at least)!
Here's how to make vegan mushroom sausage rolls at home:
- First, simply unfold the vegan puff pastry. Cut it down the middle (lengthways).
- The filling is almost as easy - cook the mushroom-onion-cashew mixture then let it cool.
- Spoon a row of filling slightly off center of the puff pastry.
- Moisten the edge of the pastry with plant-based milk (or water).
- Pull the long edge of the pastry up and over the filling. Tightly roll the pastry around the filling slightly overlapping to create a seam.
- Cut the roll into cocktail size (one or two-bite) pieces and place on a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet (affiliate link). Make the sausage rolls a bit larger and style them like the famous Gregg's vegan sausage roll if you want a more substantial roll (see photos).
- Score the tops with a sharp knife or scissors then brush lightly with plant-based milk or melted vegan butter. Sprinkle tops with sesame seeds or Everything but the Bagel.
- Bake until golden and flaky.
Sausage Rolls (vegan version) - FAQ
Yes! Sausage rolls can be filled with mushrooms, mince, soy, and even commercially made vegan sausages. Ensure the puff pastry is made without animal products (vegetable shortening). So vegans and vegetarians can enjoy sausage rolls at cocktail parties and holiday events as well!
Yes, make the sausage rolls and slice them into serving size pieces. Place on a baking sheet, wrapped in plastic in the fridge until ready to bake and serve.
These sausage rolls freeze beautifully. Make them, slice them, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer without touching in the freezer for an hour or two. Once frozen, pop them into a freezer friendly container or bag to be used up in the next couple months.
When ready to serve, place the frozen rolls on a baking sheet, bring to room temperature while the oven is preheating and cook as directed.
More Vegan Recipes
If you like these Veggie Sausage Rolls you're going to love these flavorful vegan dishes:
Vegan Potstickers with Maple Sesame Soy Sauce - nothing short of spectacular
Succulent Saucy Harissa Cauliflower Bites - the BEST vegan dish I've ever created
Vegan Chili Recipe - thick and rich, these chili is smoky saucy and hearty
Succulent Vegan Shawarma - made with chickpea tenders and 2 tasty sauces!
Vegan Sushi - easy to make, gluten-free, oil-free with lots of sushi sauce ideas
Vegan Mushroom Sausage Rolls
Rate this recipe!
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (if oil-free use broth)
- 5 cups mushrooms (450 g), chopped
- 6-8 sprigs thyme leaves, fresh
- ¼ cup curly parsley, chopped
- 4-5 tbsp soy sauce (tarmari)
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts, pulsed
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 puff pastry sheet (vegan), cut in half
- seeds and sprinkles for garnish
- honey mustard sauce (optional)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until soft and starting to take on some color.
- If oil free, use a splash of broth as necessary to keep the veggies from sticking.
- In the meantime, chop the mushrooms (eg. button, oyster, chestnut, cremini or an assortment).
- Pull the leaves off the thyme stems and set aside. PRO TIP: You can toss the whole sprig in during cooking and then remove the stems right before serving.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for around 5-7 minutes until they are caramelized the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the soy sauce (tamari), thyme leaves/sprigs, and parsley.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let reduce until most of the liquid has bubbled away. Remove from heat.
- Place a big, full cup of cashew nuts in a food processor and pulse until the texture is breadcrumb like. *Could sub another nut eg. walnuts
- Add the crumbled cashews and nutritional yeast to the mushroom mixture, stir to combine. Taste the mixture and adjust seasonings to your personal taste.
Assembling the Sausage Rolls
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a clean, lightly floured surface. Cut in half lengthways to create a long rectangle (see photo).
- Spoon mushroom slightly off center of the pastry. Lightly moisten the long edge of the pastry.
- Lift the long side of the pastry up and over the filling - tuck and roll to create a tight roll. Brush more milk to the edge to seal if required.
- *I cut them into cocktail size pieces (one or two bite). But you can cut them any size you prefer. See photos.
- Arrange the pieces seam side down on a baking sheet. Brush with plant-based milk or melted butter, sprinkle with Everything But the Bagel, a few sesame seeds or chopped parsley.
Baking the Sausage Rolls
- Bake until golden approximately 20 minutes. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce (oil-free + vegan)
- Optional but delicious - 5 Minute Honey Mustard Sauce for dipping.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Originally posted November 2019.