This is the best vegan sausage rolls recipe bar none! Flaky, golden layers of tender puff pastry filled with the most incredibly addictive, savory mushroom onion filling. Dip them in honey mustard sauce for extra deliciousness!
These vegetarian sausage rolls are easy to make, freeze well, are delicious leftover; and I have it on good authority they are completely irresistible!
These vegan sausage rolls make quite a stir at every cocktail party, family get together, dinner party, and holiday celebration we've ever hosted. And for good reason, the texture is perfection from the savory, salty-sweet and meaty filling to the flaky golden pastry. Each bite has everyone oohing and ahhing - secure one early, they are ALWAYS the first to go!
If you have leftover mushrooms, try this creamy Vegan Mushroom Pasta for an easy weeknight meal or use them up in this five star Italian Vegan Bolognese.
To create the perfect vegan sausage roll texture and savory-sweet umami depth of flavor, gather together these ingredients:
Puff Pastry: A major component of veggie sausage rolls - the puff pastry wrapper is tender, golden, and flaky. Luckily vegan puff pastry sheets can easily be found in grocery stores these days which is super convenient. *Check the ingredients on package to ensure vegan.
Mushrooms & Onions: The moreish mushroom-onion filling is hands down the star in this mushroom roll recipe. Mushrooms add incredible flavor and meaty texture. Use chestnut, oyster, cremini, button mushrooms or mix it up and use a combination of each. Use white, yellow or red onions.
Cashew Nuts: Cashew nuts take the filling flavor and texture over the top. They add a slight sweetness, creaminess, and magically bring the consistency of the filling together. Can sub for another nut - walnuts work well. I'd add ~½ teaspoon of maple syrup if using walnuts to replace sweetness of cashews.
Flavor Makers: The pairing of tamari /soy sauce, fresh thyme, fresh garlic, and nutritional yeast intensify the depth of flavor. The savory, garlicky, salty-sweet, umami flavors of the filling will have you reaching for seconds and thirds!
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce: Optional, but honestly such an incredible flavor combo, I highly recommend. Quick and easy to make, oil-free and vegan honey mustard sauce.
Let's Make Sausage Rolls (vegan style)
Very easy to make, these vegetarian mushroom sausage rolls take only a few steps - taste like you fussed, but you didn't! Always a HUGE hit at parties, you'll probably want to double the recipe (at least)!
Ready to get started?:
- First, simply unfold the vegan puff pastry. Cut it down the middle (lengthways).
- The filling is almost as easy: cook the mushroom-onion filling then let it cool (full details in recipe card).
- Spoon a row of filling slightly off center of the puff pastry.
- Moisten the edge of the pastry with plant-based milk (or water).
- Pull the long edge of the pastry up and over the filling. Tightly roll the pastry around the filling slightly overlapping to create a seam.
- Cut the roll into cocktail size (one or two-bite) pieces and place on a parchment or silicone lined baking sheet. Make the sausage rolls a bit larger and style them like the famous Gregg's vegan sausage roll if you want a more substantial roll (see photos).
- Score the tops with a sharp knife or scissors then brush lightly with dairy-free milk or melted vegan butter. Sprinkle tops with sesame seeds or Everything but the Bagel.
- Bake until golden and flaky.
Sausage Rolls (vegan version) - FAQ
Yes! Sausage rolls can be filled with mushrooms, mince, soy, and even commercially made vegan sausages. Ensure the puff pastry is made without animal products (vegetable shortening). So vegans and vegetarians can enjoy sausage rolls at cocktail parties and holiday events as well!
Yes, make the sausage rolls and slice them into serving size pieces. Place on a baking sheet, wrapped in plastic in the fridge until ready to bake and serve.
These sausage rolls freeze beautifully. Make them, slice them, and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer without touching in the freezer for an hour or two. Once frozen, pop them into a freezer friendly container or bag to be used up in the next couple months.
When ready to serve, place the frozen rolls on a baking sheet, bring to room temperature while the oven is preheating and cook as directed.
More Vegan Recipes
If you like these Veggie Sausage Rolls you're going to love these flavorful vegan dishes:
- Vegan Potstickers with Maple Sesame Soy Sauce
- Harissa Cauliflower Bites
- Vegan Chili
- Vegan Shawarma
- Vegan Sushi & Sushi Sauces
Did you make this delicious Vegan Sausage Roll recipe?
I'd love to see it! Tag me on IG @ceeceecooks and Facebook!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Vegan Mushroom Sausage Rolls
Rate this recipe!
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (if oil-free use broth)
- 5 cups mushrooms (450 g), chopped
- 6-8 sprigs thyme leaves, fresh
- ¼ cup curly parsley, chopped
- 4-5 tbsp soy sauce (tarmari)
- 1 cup raw cashew nuts, pulsed
- 2-3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 puff pastry sheet (vegan), cut in half
- seeds and sprinkles for garnish
- honey mustard sauce (optional)
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a large skillet until shimmering. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until soft and starting to take on some color.
- If oil free, use a splash of broth as necessary to keep the veggies from sticking.
- In the meantime, chop the mushrooms (eg. button, oyster, chestnut, cremini or an assortment).
- Pull the leaves off the thyme stems and set aside. PRO TIP: You can toss the whole sprig in during cooking and then remove the stems right before serving.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook for around 5-7 minutes until they are caramelized the liquid has evaporated.
- Add the soy sauce (tamari), thyme leaves/sprigs, and parsley.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let reduce until most of the liquid has bubbled away. Remove from heat.
- Place a big, full cup of cashew nuts in a food processor and pulse until the texture is breadcrumb like. *Could sub another nut eg. walnuts
- Add the crumbled cashews and nutritional yeast to the mushroom mixture, stir to combine. Taste the mixture and adjust seasonings to your personal taste.
Assembling the Sausage Rolls
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a clean, lightly floured surface. Cut in half lengthways to create a long rectangle (see photo).
- Spoon mushroom slightly off center of the pastry. Lightly moisten the long edge of the pastry.
- Lift the long side of the pastry up and over the filling - tuck and roll to create a tight roll. Brush more milk to the edge to seal if required.
- *I cut them into cocktail size pieces (one or two bite). But you can cut them any size you prefer. See photos.
- Arrange the pieces seam side down on a baking sheet. Brush with plant-based milk or melted butter, sprinkle with Everything But the Bagel, a few sesame seeds or chopped parsley.
Baking the Sausage Rolls
- Bake until golden approximately 20 minutes. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce (oil-free + vegan)
- Optional but delicious - 5 Minute Honey Mustard Sauce for dipping.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Originally posted November 2019.
These sausage rolls are the Bomb! Impossible to have just one. Great texture and flavour.
Thank you, Karoline. I'm so happy you enjoy the sausage rolls. We do too!
These were amazing!!! I couldn’t stop eating them! Going to make them for the family over Christmas holidays ????
Megs, I'm so happy to hear that you loved the sausage rolls! I hope your family loves them too!
Mine and my family's favourite appetizer!! Thank you, so healthy and so good!
Thank you so much for the feedback, Sandi. This is a a crowd favourite with our group too!
These are honestly amazing, best appie of all time!
Thank you so much, Jenn. I'm happy you love them.
These were so easy to make and got gobbled up in no time I will make them again!
Thank you, Lesley! They get gobbled up pretty fast at our house too!
These are amazing! Everyone loved them and without the nutritional yeast and just a small tsp of tamari. I gave my sister the recipe and she misread the recipe and used tahini instead of tamari again no yeast and another big hit!
Yay! Oh ha ha that's so funny, I'll have to give it a go! Thank you!
I was sceptical at first because of so many ingredients, but my oh my! These are just SO darn good! Thank you for sharing. I’ll definitely be following you.
So happy you enjoyed! Thank you for the review.
I made these as per recipe and also made one as a large one with tofu added to have like a Wellington as baked dinner with baked Vegies. Both were fantastic. Going to make for Christmas dinner!
Yay! So happy you enjoyed. The tofu addition sounds amazing!
Just made these for the first time yesterday, these are out of this world good. So easy and SO delicious. Thank you!!
Thank you so much. I'm so happy you enjoyed!
Amazingly delicious! Better than meat sausage rolls, exquisite savoury and robust flavours. Comfort!
Thank you so much for the review. So happy you enjoyed!
So delicious and easy!!
So happy to hear that you love the vegan sausage rolls. Thank you for sharing. Happy Monday!
This vegan sausage roll recipe is the BEST. It's so easy to make and the whole family loves them! The honey mustard dipping sauce is a perfect accompaniment.
Thank you so much for the review. I'm happy to hear you are loving the sausage rolls.
These sausage rolls are sooo delicious and easy. I froze some and they were just as delicious out of freezer. What an easy way to have delicious gourmet appies prepared when the neighbours pop over. Awesome!
Our favorite vegan appetizer of all time too! Thanks for letting us know.
OMG, these are so damn delicious. We ate the whole batch. Going to try them with the honey mustard dipping sauce next time. Perfect for this Christmas for family get-togethers too! Thank you for an outstanding and flavorful vegan sausage roll!
Yay, thanks for letting me know. We can eat a whole batch of these vegetarian sausage rolls in one sitting too!
These are amazing! I’m so glad I found your site. Can’t wait to make these for our holiday potluck. The honey mustard sauce takes these to another level!
So happy to hear you love the vegan sausage rolls and vegan honey mustard. It's always a favorite appetizer at holiday parties!
OMG! These are the most incredible vegetarian sausage rolls we've ever had! No one can believe they are veggie!!! And that honey mustard dipping sauce is divine. Will be serving at ALL the holiday parties this year!
Marnie, thank you so much! I'm happy to hear you love the vegan sausage rolls!
These vegan sausage rolls are hard to believe they are vegan and so beautiful too. They are a hit on any happy hour table or any meal. Super tasty and well worth making….fabulous!
Oh my goodness, yay! Thank you so much for the glowing review - so happy you loved the sausage rolls.
These are delicious! Will definitely be making again!