This Peanut Hoisin Sauce is the best! It’s a creamy, salty sweet and spicy, totally addictive dipping sauce. Super quick and easy to whip up, this Vietnamese peanut sauce is ready in just 5 minutes. It makes the perfect drizzle, dressing or dip on everything - especially vegan summer rolls!
My family is completely obsessed with peanut hoisin sauce - we can’t get enough of it! It really jazzes up bland food like tofu, tempeh, noodles, and salads! But when I serve it alongside fresh spring rolls, collard green wraps or this Thai crunch salad, everyone is licking their plates clean!
Ingredients (with substitutions)
This peanut hoisin sauce recipe calls for only five basic, pantry ingredients (no fish sauce needed). Plus it’s super customizable (make it spicier, tangier, saltier, sweeter)! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Peanut butter: Use smooth or natural peanut butter - store bought or make your own homemade peanut butter (it’s easy)! If you have a peanut allergy, swap out the peanut butter for another nut butter like cashew or almond.
- Hoisin sauce: As peanut butter’s co-star, hoisin sauce adds a very distinct, rich, slightly sweet and salty flavor. Play around with the ratio of peanut butter to hoisin to suit your preferences. Any brand of hoisin sauce works just check the ingredients to be sure it’s vegan and gluten free (as needed).
- Acid: I like the pairing of fresh lime juice with peanut butter and hoisin, but you can sub seasoned rice vinegar for a tangier punch or use a combination of the two!
- Soy Sauce: Soy sauce adds a salty, umami depth of flavor. Use low sodium or tamari (gluten free) as needed.
- Sriracha: The kick of heat from sriracha sauce perfectly balances the sweet and salty flavor profile in this hoisin peanut butter sauce. Sub in red pepper flakes or your favorite hot sauce for the sriracha.
How to Make Vietnamese Peanut Sauce
Making this peanut hoisin sauce is so easy (no blender required!). All you need is a whisk and a bowl. Let’s get started:
- Make the sauce: Place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth and combined. Taste and adjust, as needed. If the sauce is too thick, whisk in more water (a few tablespoons at a time) until you reach desired consistency.
- Add toppings and serve: If desired, garnish with crushed peanuts and/or sesame seeds. Enjoy!
What does peanut hoisin sauce taste like?
Peanut butter hoisin sauce is a delicious, salty-sweet Vietnamese peanut sauce. It's rich, slightly sweet and spicy (somewhat like Chinese 5 spice), creamy, and nutty with a kiss of heat.
What is Vietnamese peanut sauce made of?
Traditionally, Vietnamese peanut dipping sauce is made up of peanut butter, hoisin sauce, hot chilis, and water.
How Long Does it Last?
Keep any leftover vegan peanut hoisin sauce in the fridge in a covered container or jar for 8-10 days (but it won’t last)! When you’re ready to serve, add a splash of water if necessary to correct the consistency.
What does Peanut Hoisin Sauce go with?
This spicy peanut butter hoisin sauce is mega flavorful - it makes everything 1000% more delicious! Transform your leftovers, drizzle it over stir fry bowls and so much more:
- Perfect pairings: peanut dipping sauce for spring rolls and veggie platters.
- Stir this savory sweet peanut sauce into noodle bowls.
- Use as a salad/slaw dressing.
- Makes a delicious condiment slathered on veggie sandwiches, tofu wraps, and tacos.
- Jazz up baked tofu, tempeh or seitan.
- Drizzle over grilled or baked veggies - especially cauliflower and sweet potatoes!
Try these Next!
Here at Simply Ceecee, we focus on easy, flavorful vegan sauce recipes - here’s a few more to try:
- Tahini Sauce
- 5 Minute Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- Vegan Tzatziki Sauce
- Vegan Tartar Sauce
- Easy Vegan Pesto
- Tofu Marinade (Make tasty salad dressings too!)
Did you make this Vietnamese Peanut Sauce recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please let me know how you liked it in the comments below.
Tag me with photos on Instagram or Facebook
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Easy Peanut Hoisin Sauce
Rate this recipe!
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup hoisin sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 1+ tablespoon soy sauce (tamari)
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha
- 2-4 tablespoons water for thinning
- Whisk all ingredients together. Whisk in 2-4 tablespoons water to thin sauce to prefered consistency.
- Top with chopped peanuts or sesame seeds.
- Store in fridge for 8-10 days. May need to add water to bring sauce back to consistency.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
I could literally put this peanut hoisin sauce on anything, or eat it with a spoon - either way 😉
Agreed! It's difficult to resist. Happy you love it too!
Another one of your 10/10 dipping sauces. We love the summer rolls and this sauce was the icing on the cake! Bursting with flavour and texture.
Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We agree this peanut hoisin sauce is definitely super flavorful!
By far the best peanut sauce recipe I’ve ever used. Thank you so much for posting