If you want to infuse some traditional flavors to your vegan holiday cooking, you'll love having this sage, onion, and garlic spice blend in the pantry. It's an easy to make savory blend of traditional Christmas flavors that's delicious in stuffing (dressing), crispy smashed potatoes, baked vegetables, tofu turkey, and so much more!
All you need is a few basic spices, a jar and 5 minutes. Let's get started . . .
Probably the most reached for seasoning blend during holiday cooking, this incredible savory, salty seasoning is the perfect balance of earthy sage, sweet little bits of onion, and pungent garlic.
As a vegan cook, incorporating traditional flavors/seasonings in meatless dishes is a wonderful way to bring familiar flavors and comfort to vegan recipes. You're going to want to sprinkle this seasoning on everything - I know we do!
During the Mushroom Festival, Wicked Healthy made a recipe using a blend of Onion Sage spice (their own label) not available where I live, so I created this blend and our family is obsessed. I hope you enjoy this blend as much as we do; but feel free to make it sweeter, saltier, more savory or add in a pinch of this or that to make it your own.
Creating your own customized spice blends is quick and easy, affordable, and convenient - here's a few more we use all the time: taco seasoning, shawarma spice blend, madras curry blend, southwest spice blend.
Homemade Spice Blend - Ingredients
A simple homemade Sage and Onion seasoning blend that is quick to throw together with ground spices you probably have in the pantry right now. So simple!
- ground sage - prominent, earthy, woody flavor traditionally used in poultry seasoning, with buttery sausage stuffing/dressing recipes at Christmas or Thanksgiving, and all year long in Mediterranean rubs, buttery garlic pasta sauces, potatoes, and tomato sauces.
- minced onion/onion flakes - a popular and complimentary flavor pairing with sage. Can sub granulated, but the small pieces of flaked onion are spectacular when baked and crunchy.
- granulated garlic - dehydrated, ground garlic. Adds potent, concentrated garlic flavor.
- coriander - dried, crushed seeds of the cilantro plant.
- dry parsley - the most widely used herb in the world. Adds color and light flavor.
- salt - coarse ground sea salt/kosher salt, elevates the flavors.
- pepper - coarse ground black pepper for some heat.
- sugar - just a pinch to balance the flavors.
- red pepper flakes - optional for extra heat and color.
How to Make Sage and Onion Spice Blend
Just mix the spices all together in a jar and shake well to incorporate.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your personal preference. It should be savory, slightly sweet, and salty. Enjoy!
Once you have Sage Onion Garlic spice blend on hand, you'll find yourself sprinkling it on everything! Of course during Thanksgiving and Christmas, it is the spice blend of choice for stuffing/dressing and on potatoes; but here's a few other ways to enjoy it:
- sprinkled on fries or sweet potato fries
- sweet roasted cauliflower is incredible with this savory sage onion seasoning
- on grilled veggies like carrots, squash, onions, celery, mushrooms and potatoes
- roasted chickpeas
- crispy smashed potatoes (addictive) - see photo
More Spicy Vegan Recipes
If you like spice like we do, here's a few recipes you'll enjoy:
- chana masala with rich and luscious cashew cream
- ginger beef with tender crisp veggies
- succulent shawarma with sweet and spicy tahini
- vegan chili everyone loves - hearty, meaty (made with Beyond meat)
Did you make this Sage Onion Spice Blend recipe?
I'd love to see it! Please let me know in the comments.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Sage, Onion and Garlic Seasoning Blend
- 1 - 1 ½ tablespoons sage, ground
- 3 tablespoons onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons parsley, dry
- 1 teaspoon sugar, more to taste
- red pepper flakes
- Place all ingredients in a jar. Shake to mix well.
- Taste seasoning blend and adjust to your personal preference.
- Store in the pantry for several months.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.