This savory blend of sage, onion, and garlic is the most popular poultry seasoning in our house during the holiday season! It's an easy to make blend of classic Christmas flavors that's delicious in stuffing (dressing), sprinkled on crispy smashed potatoes, vegan gravy, baked vegetables, vegan turkey, and so much more!
As a vegan cook, incorporating traditional flavors/seasonings in meatless dishes is a wonderful way to bring familiar flavors and comfort to vegan recipes. I was inspired by Wicked Healthy's Onion Sage spice (not available here), so I created my own savory sage spice blend. It's the perfect balance of earthy sage, sweet bits of onion, pungent garlic, and a whisper of sweetness.
Creating your own customized spice blends is quick and easy, affordable, and convenient - here's a few more we use all the time: taco seasoning, shawarma spice blend, madras curry blend, southwest spice blend.
Sage & Onion Seasoning Ingredients
This simple homemade sage and onion blend is quick to throw together with ground spices you probably have in the pantry right now. Here's what you'll need:
- ground sage - prominent, savory flavor traditionally used in poultry seasoning and in buttery sausage stuffing/dressing recipes at Christmas or Thanksgiving.
- minced onion/onion flakes - a popular and complimentary flavor pairing with sage. Can sub granulated, but the small pieces of flaked onion are spectacular when baked and crunchy.
- granulated garlic - dehydrated, ground garlic. Adds potent, concentrated garlic flavor.
- coriander - dried, crushed seeds of the cilantro plant
- dry parsley - the most widely used herb in the world. Adds color and light flavor.
- salt - coarse ground sea salt/kosher salt, elevates the flavors
- pepper - coarse ground black pepper for some heat
- sugar - just a pinch to balance the flavors
- red pepper flakes - optional for extra heat and color
So Easy to Make!
Just mix the spices all together in a jar and shake well to incorporate. Taste and adjust seasonings to your personal taste - make it sweeter, saltier, more savory.
Once you have this savory sage and onion blend on hand, you'll find yourself sprinkling it on everything! Of course during Thanksgiving and Christmas, it's the savory seasoning of choice for popular dishes like for vegan turkey dressing, vegan turkey, mushroom gravy, and potatoes; but here's a few other ways to enjoy it:
- sprinkle on French fries or sweet potato fries
- brings sweet roasted cauliflower to life
- on grilled veggies like carrots, squash, onions, celery, and mushrooms
- seasoning for crispy roasted chickpeas
- on crispy smashed potatoes (addictive) - see photo
FAQ - Sage
Common sage is a savory herb with a strong floral aroma and earthy flavor used for seasoning food. It's a beautiful, easy-to-grow herb that tastes good and is known for its health benefits and nutrients. Buy it fresh or dried at the grocery store. Fun fact: sage is a member of the mint family!
More Spicy Vegan Recipes
If you like spice like we do, here's a few spicy vegan recipes to try next:
- Italian herb crusted tofu pasta
- vegan ginger beef with tender crisp veggies
- vegan shawarma with sweet and spicy tahini
- vegan chili everyone loves - hearty, meaty
- chana masala with rich and luscious cashew cream
Did you make this Sage and Onion Seasoning Blend? I'd love to see it!
Please let leave a rating, and let me know what you thought below.
NEVER MISS A RECIPE: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Sage, Onion and Garlic Seasoning Blend
Rate this recipe!
- 1 - 1 ½ tablespoons sage, ground
- 3 tablespoons onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons garlic granules
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons parsley, dry
- 1 teaspoon sugar, more to taste
- red pepper flakes
- Place all ingredients in a jar. Shake to mix well.
- Start with 1 tablespoon of sage. Taste the seasoning blend and adjust to your personal preference.
- Store in the pantry for several months.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
The perfect amount of sweet, savory and salty - we love it sprinkled on EVERYTHING!