Spicy-sweet, rich and luxurious, this mole-esque, Tex-Mex Enchilada sauce is going to be your go-to drizzle this winter. That's a promise! Easy to make, and burst with flavor, this vegan sauce is delicious on everything from vegan taco bowls and burritos to grilled veggies and sweet potatoes.
I'm a saucy girl. I'm the happiest when there are two or three sauces to drizzle over my food. Adding sauce just makes everything better. #amiright
This spicy, Tex-Mex enchilada sauce was born from an enchilada making session. I wanted all the yummy Mexican spices, but was cravin' something thicker and more luxurious like a BBQ sauce so I married the two together (kind of mole-esque).
This is by no means an authentic Mexican sauce, but here are some ways I love to use this scrumptious brown sauce:
- poblano and mushroom Tex-Mex enchiladas
- baked potatoes topped with baked veggies and cashew cream
- burritos with sour cream
- tofu scramble with fried potatoes
- rice buddha bowl
It's a very versatile sauce because it's got a lotta flavour and a lotta depth. Also, bonus points to the yummiest sauce ever - it's super easy to make. I used my favourite ketchup, but you could just as easily use tomato sauce as the base (you may have to adjust the molasses and broth). Then add all the warming spices, fresh garlic and ginger, a good dose of heat, and a dash of umami.
PRO TIP: You can adjust the spice level to suit your family. Keep in mind that I made this sauce to serve over these luscious Poblano and Mushroom Tex-Mex Enchiladas which obviously have poblanos, so together they UP the heat index. Served on its own, you may enjoy a bit more sriracha or chili powder.
More Spicy Vegan Comfort Food Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Spicy Tex-Mex Enchilada Sauce
Rate this recipe!
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1-2 tbsp molasses
- 1 ½ tbsp tamari
- 2 tsp oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1+ tbsp sriracha
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves and ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¾ - 1 cup vegetable broth*
- 1-2 tsp fresh cracked black pepper (to taste)
- sea salt (to taste)
- Place everything except vegetable broth and pepper and salt in a saucepan and whisk together until combined.
- Stir in ¾ - 1 cup vegetable broth (I use this Better than Bouillon).
- Bring up to bubbling over medium-high then reduce the heat to simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- *If the sauce is too thick, add more of the broth until desired consistency is met.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.