Stuffed sweet potatoes bursting with flavor from black beans, tomatoes, avocados and a delicious tangy, dilly drizzle and a kiss of cayenne. In the same lane as loaded sweet potato skins, but healthier, these stuffed sweeties and our taco stuffed sweet potatoes are family favorites.
If you love sweet potatoes, you've hit the jackpot. This is the mother of all stuffed sweet potato recipes. It's super nourishing, vegan, naturally gluten free and oil free, is an epic flavor pairing, and is packed with protein and nutrients. Keep reading for step by step instructions, lots of tips and alternatives . . .
Easy Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This sweet potato recipe is easy to make with lots of options. The simple version (which I usually make for lunch) is filled with black beans, tomatoes, avocado, and a dilly hummus drizzle. But for dinner, we like ALL the toppings.
This Mexican spiced potato is packed with fresh, nourishing, basic ingredients. Here's what you'll need . . .
- sweet potatoes
- black beans or chickpeas
- red onion
- dill / cilantro
How to Make Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans
This is an easy recipe to manage.
- Preheat the oven.
- Prep the sweet potatoes and chickpeas (if using) - pop into the oven.
- Make the dilly hummus or other another sauce. Some other popular choices: Sweet and Spicy Tahini Sauce and Vegan Tzatziki sauce.
- Slice the avocados or make a quick guacamole.
- Drain and rinse the black beans.
- Slice the tomatoes and green onions, and chop the cilantro/dill.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, pile with fillings, drizzle with sauce, garnish, and ENJOY!
Sweet potatoes really are a superfood. You can stuff them with almost anything - sweet or savory. Another idea for how to make easy stuffed potatoes taco stuffed sweet potato.
Are Sweet Potatoes Healthy?
You betcha!!! Besides tasting incredible, sweet potatoes pack a gigantic nutrient punch. Dr. Greger (How Not to Die) says that sweet potatoes are ranked one of the healthiest and cheapest superfoods for vegan, vegetarian and plant-based meals. Their antioxidant power (skin on) approaches that of blueberries.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes (2 ways)
Whether you bake or roast your sweet potatoes, both are delicious and both are cooked without oil. The baked version is perfect for small - medium size potatoes they are sweet and tender. The roasted version is a great choice for medium to large size sweet potatoes. They are deliciously sweet and caramelized.
BAKED Sweet Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Add a slice of parchment paper to a baking sheet.
- Wash and pat potatoes dry. Pierce with fork a number of times.
- Place on baking sheet in oven. Don't wrap in tinfoil - you want the skin to get crispy and caramelized.
- Cook for 30-45 minutes* or until tender when gently squeezed or fork tender.
*The cooking time will vary depending on size of sweet potatoes.
ROASTED: Slice in half lengthwise. Sprinkle the cut side with lime juice, a light dusting of cinnamon, cumin, and garlic powder. Flip over and place cut side down on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake in oven until soft and caramelized around 20-30 minutes.
*The timing will vary depending on how big the potatoes are and how hot your oven runs. Check on them periodically by gently squeezing them to check for softness or until they are easily pierced with a fork.
Serving Size Note: you can remove some of the cooked potato if it's a BIG potato and save it in the fridge for use later in a bowl, chili, taco or bowl.
Is it okay to eat Sweet Potato Skins?
Yes! The potato skins have a lot of nutrients! I love the the crisp caramelized texture - drizzle with sweet and spicy tahini and a sprinkle of chopped green onions.
Plus have you tried baked sweet potato skins? Loaded and twice baked with cheese and onions they're a real crowd pleaser! Or seasoned potato peelings? Baked, deep fried or cooked in the air fryer to crispy perfection - must try!
More Quick and Easy Recipes to Enjoy
Simply Delicious Vegan Tacos - backpocket recipe on regular rotation - fast, easy!
Cashew Chicken Stir Fry - made with succulent soy curl tenders - better than takeout!
Vegan Sausage Rolls - crowd favorite, easy to make, irresistible!
Here are some of my favorite kitchen items from this post:
Heavy duty baking sheets (I like a heavy duty baking sheet - some of mine I've had for decades!). I use the full, half, and quarter size for baking, roasting, serving, to catch overflows (apple pie!) and for backdrops (heh heh).
Did you make this recipe? I'd love to see it!
Please leave a star rating and comment at the bottom of the page.
Thank you so much for sharing! Tag me on Instagram
For more Vegan Recipes: Sign up for my email NEWSLETTER!
Easy Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Black Beans
Rate this recipe!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut in half*
- ½ medium lime, juiced
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cumin
- roasted chickpea recipe* (optional)
- 19 oz tin black beans, drained and rinsed
Dilly Hummus Drizzle
- ½ cup hummus
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ medium lemon, juice (to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon plant-based milk (for thinning)
Guacamole Recipe (optional)
- 1 sliced avocados or make guacamole
Sweet Potato Toppings / Garnish
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 green onions, sliced
- cilantro, chopped
- sriracha drizzles
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Wash sweet potatoes, pat dry, and cut them in half lengthwise (leave skin on).
- Squeeze lime juice on cut side of sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon, cumin, and salt.
- Place cut side down on baking sheet. Bake for 25-40 minutes until soft and caramelized (cooking time will vary depending on size, how hot your oven runs, etc. - when you check them give a gentle squeeze - they should feel soft or easily pierced with a fork).
Roasted Chickpeas (optional)
- 1, 19 oz can of chickpeas (drain, rinse, pat dry, place in a bowl). Toss with 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp oregano, pinch of salt, juice of ½ lemon (or lime), hot pepper flakes to taste.
- Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet with sweet potato halves or on their own baking sheet.
- Place in the oven (stir the chickpeas after 15 minutes - then check them after another 5 minutes - they will have to come out before the potatoes depending on how big your potatoes are).
Dilly Hummus Drizzle
- Use your favourite store-bought or try this Quick Delicious Hummus RecipeWhisk together all the ingredients (except milk) in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasoning per taste. Thin with milk to drizzle consistency.
Guacamole Recipe (optional topping)
- Slice avocado or make quick guacamole.
Putting It All Together (quick and easy)
- Cut the tomatoes, green onions, and some dill (garnish) while the potatoes are baking.
- Place the baked sweet potato halves on a serving dish (cut side up) - pinch the sides and rough up the top of the potatoes with a fork to loosen the flesh.
- Add a big glob of guacamole (if using) on each potato. Sprinkle with black beans (chickpeas or both), drizzle with dilly hummus and sriracha. Top with lots of juicy tomatoes, green onions, and chopped dill or cilantro.
This recipe is from simplyceecee.co food blog. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images or republish this recipe without prior permission. Thank you.
Original post July 2019